April 19, 2024, 04:23:19 PM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Maslennikov Notebook Question on Search Camp  (Read 12071 times)

February 22, 2021, 08:20:49 PM
Read 12071 times

KFinn

On the 5 of March, Maslennikov transcribed a radiogram that, among other requests such as having the students send messages home to their worried parents, stated, "Set round the clock armed duty in the tent."  This was referring to the searchers tent, as the Dyatlov tent had been removed by then.  Why did this suddenly become a concern 10 days into the search?  It was after the fire/smoke incident (26-27 Feb.)  I don't find any other indication of why.  Am I missing something?
-Ren

February 23, 2021, 09:06:02 AM
Reply #1

GKM

I remember reading that as well or something of that sort. Never found anything further on it. Sorry I couldn't help you.

February 23, 2021, 09:17:25 AM
Reply #2

Nigel Evans

The investigation initially focused on the mansi and rounded up their leaders for "interviews" which were apparently a tad rough. So its just a guess but they might have decided to tighten up security in case of reprisals. The KGB staff always carried their pistols.

February 23, 2021, 09:25:27 AM
Reply #3

KFinn

The investigation initially focused on the mansi and rounded up their leaders for "interviews" which were apparently a tad rough. So its just a guess but they might have decided to tighten up security in case of reprisals. The KGB staff always carried their pistols.

That would fit in with the time frame.  At least some of the Mansion interviews were the second week of March, roughly. 
-Ren

February 23, 2021, 12:58:27 PM
Reply #4

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient
On the 5 of March, Maslennikov transcribed a radiogram that, among other requests such as having the students send messages home to their worried parents, stated, "Set round the clock armed duty in the tent."  This was referring to the searchers tent, as the Dyatlov tent had been removed by then.  Why did this suddenly become a concern 10 days into the search?  It was after the fire/smoke incident (26-27 Feb.)  I don't find any other indication of why.  Am I missing something?

Its very interesting. He says ; Weapons here are more than enougth. Enougth for what  ! ? Its early March, the Mansi have been helping with the searches. The last 4 bodies are not found until May. Interesting to note that strange Lights in the sky were observed during the time that the Search Parties were searching. Something else mentioned in the Notebooks is ; All footprints of Dyatlov's group found in the search area were photographed, there are no wolf tracks here. And yet we have very little in the way of Photographs of Footprints  !  ?  Could some Photographs have gone missing like so much else in this Dyatlov Mystery.
MASLENNIKOV 2ND NOTEBOOK

Scan 37

Radio 5/III

Today was windy again, the wind swept 15 meters, visibility is poor. Yesterday, the Shestopalov group passed a section near the cedar 300x120 meters. Today the detachment worked especially hard, covered 500 meters from 250 to 150 meters wide. Halfway between Kolmogorova and Dyatlov, a fifth body was found under 15 centimeters layer of snow. This is more than likely Rustem Slobodin. Wearing a warm ski cap on his head, black sweater cotton pants underpants three pairs of socks. Abrasions in several places on his face. There is a wound on the hand.

Scan 37

On one leg, a black felt boot. A watch pobeda on his wrist stopped at a quarter to nine. Lying with his head bent in the direction of the mountain. An act is drawn up. Tomorrow afternoon we will carry him up. Remained area of 500x100 square. All groups are merged now for the search in one, walking with probes close to each other in a front of 30 people sectors on the search site divided in squares. It will be tomorrow too. The tent is guarded around the clock from the first day of work, Weapons here are more than enough.=

DB

February 23, 2021, 02:03:23 PM
Reply #5

KFinn

Its very interesting. He says ; Weapons here are more than enougth. Enougth for what  ! ? Its early March, the Mansi have been helping with the searches. The last 4 bodies are not found until May. Interesting to note that strange Lights in the sky were observed during the time that the Search Parties were searching. Something else mentioned in the Notebooks is ; All footprints of Dyatlov's group found in the search area were photographed, there are no wolf tracks here. And yet we have very little in the way of Photographs of Footprints  !  ?  Could some Photographs have gone missing like so much else in this Dyatlov Mystery.
MASLENNIKOV 2ND NOTEBOOK

Scan 37

Radio 5/III

Today was windy again, the wind swept 15 meters, visibility is poor. Yesterday, the Shestopalov group passed a section near the cedar 300x120 meters. Today the detachment worked especially hard, covered 500 meters from 250 to 150 meters wide. Halfway between Kolmogorova and Dyatlov, a fifth body was found under 15 centimeters layer of snow. This is more than likely Rustem Slobodin. Wearing a warm ski cap on his head, black sweater cotton pants underpants three pairs of socks. Abrasions in several places on his face. There is a wound on the hand.

Scan 37

On one leg, a black felt boot. A watch pobeda on his wrist stopped at a quarter to nine. Lying with his head bent in the direction of the mountain. An act is drawn up. Tomorrow afternoon we will carry him up. Remained area of 500x100 square. All groups are merged now for the search in one, walking with probes close to each other in a front of 30 people sectors on the search site divided in squares. It will be tomorrow too. The tent is guarded around the clock from the first day of work, Weapons here are more than enough.=

There was also an entry early on (maybe around March 3?  I have to recheck.) where Maslennikov crossed out a statement about whether a certain "branch had been used as a floor for the den where the rest sleep."  I found that a bit curious.
-Ren

February 23, 2021, 04:48:40 PM
Reply #6

GKM

Excellent pinpoint location of the den. Almost as if the Mansi knew exactly where to dig. I can understand finding the general location but to pick a spot and BINGO ..dead center, perfect target, they win the prize, built in GPS or Mapquest. "You have reached your location". Exact location on first try. What are the odds of that? Not that it matters to me as I view the den as completely unimportant in regards to what actually happened to the group. Think Luda died on that rock? She looks posed. Nothing natural about her position.

February 23, 2021, 05:18:19 PM
Reply #7

Manti

...Something else mentioned in the Notebooks is ; All footprints of Dyatlov's group found in the search area were photographed, there are no wolf tracks here. And yet we have very little in the way of Photographs of Footprints  !  ? 

Halfway between Kolmogorova and Dyatlov, a fifth body was found under 15 centimeters layer of snow. This is more than likely Rustem Slobodin.

One of the main things about the DPI I don't understand is how it did not seem impossible to them to find bodies under snow but footprints supposedly of the dead which were not snowed on? Snow will fill any depressions like a footprint... or the ravine.

The photographed footprints are more likely from the searchers themselves, or else someone who has been there much more recently than the Dyatlov group or even if we assume the bodies were staged, someone's who has been there weeks after that...

Why would they assume the footprints are from the Dyatlov group?

February 23, 2021, 05:22:12 PM
Reply #8

KFinn

Excellent pinpoint location of the den. Almost as if the Mansi knew exactly where to dig. I can understand finding the general location but to pick a spot and BINGO ..dead center, perfect target, they win the prize, built in GPS or Mapquest. "You have reached your location". Exact location on first try. What are the odds of that? Not that it matters to me as I view the den as completely unimportant in regards to what actually happened to the group. Think Luda died on that rock? She looks posed. Nothing natural about her position.

Sometimes I wonder if everyone suspected that area all along but were waiting on the weather to change, just from the little things they say here and there.  In a way, it makes sense.  You know what direction they started, you have the last position pinpointed at the cedar, you know they could only go so much further without skis which were up at the tent.  So the most probable field for finding them is only so big, but under layers and meters of snow...  And then they did seem genuinely surprised when the Mansi find the location, so I almost don't know what to think, lol!  I know some woodsmen who notice the smallest details and can be really freaky pointing out things I never would have looked at or for but...

Judging by the sides of the ravine, I don't think Lyuda's position can be explained by falling there.  I suppose the water and snow melt could have moved her body but there is no way, in my opinion, that her body could have landed front and face on like that if it was a tumble on the slope.  Possibly if the snow collapsed beneath them but that still wouldn't explain the extent if her injuries.  Bodies land weirdly and awkwardly not symmetrically and balanced.  Then again, I suppose if there are anomalies, they'd happen with the DPI because so much just doesn't make sense, lol!!
-Ren

February 23, 2021, 05:32:39 PM
Reply #9

KFinn

...Something else mentioned in the Notebooks is ; All footprints of Dyatlov's group found in the search area were photographed, there are no wolf tracks here. And yet we have very little in the way of Photographs of Footprints  !  ? 

Halfway between Kolmogorova and Dyatlov, a fifth body was found under 15 centimeters layer of snow. This is more than likely Rustem Slobodin.

One of the main things about the DPI I don't understand is how it did not seem impossible to them to find bodies under snow but footprints supposedly of the dead which were not snowed on? Snow will fill any depressions like a footprint... or the ravine.

The photographed footprints are more likely from the searchers themselves, or else someone who has been there much more recently than the Dyatlov group or even if we assume the bodies were staged, someone's who has been there weeks after that...

The way I interpret it is that because most of the Dyatlov group were not wearing shoes, their body heat compacted the snow and melted it enough that the prints quickly became ice.  Then over the course of the next few weeks, the constant wind on the exposed slope blew the dry snow away, leaving the icy, compacted prints.  The searchers assumed they were from the Dyatlov group because the group was not in the tent, the footprints were leading away from the tent and most of them looked like unshod feet (you could see toe imprints and such.)  The forensic expert Churkina did go up and analyze them and they took pictures (although the pictures we seem to have of them are not really that detailed.)  I also think at the time that the footprints were found, everyone had expected the group was either lost or succumbed to a natural disaster of some kind, so they were not looking at the scene as a scene needing to be preserved for investigation.  They were thinking "the group was here, they are not now, there are footprints leading away, they therefore belong to the group." 
-Ren

February 23, 2021, 05:43:54 PM
Reply #10

Manti

Well, there is a modern analysis of the footprints here: https://dyatlovpass.com/1079?flp=1#chapter23

It says that these footprints are actually from shod feet.. And also yes there are those "raised" footprints which could have formed like you describe, but there were photographs made of traditional depressed ones.

February 23, 2021, 06:03:09 PM
Reply #11

KFinn

Well, there is a modern analysis of the footprints here: https://dyatlovpass.com/1079?flp=1#chapter23

It says that these footprints are actually from shod feet.. And also yes there are those "raised" footprints which could have formed like you describe, but there were photographs made of traditional depressed ones.

One of my questions about the modern analysis is the assumption that the size of the prints proves they were shoed feet.  Before that, it is mentioned that over time, the ice melts in sun and refreezes in the cold.  Ice expands when it freezes.  That will effect the size of the prints over time.  You cannot make any clear assumptions about the size, in my opinion. 
-Ren

February 24, 2021, 10:15:08 AM
Reply #12

sarapuk

The Mansi would be very good at reading a landscape be it covered in snow or not. They would have noticed a trail from the Cedar Tree to the Ravine and would have suggested digging in the deeper snow which would have been wind blown.
DB

February 24, 2021, 10:20:10 AM
Reply #13

sarapuk

The way I interpret it is that because most of the Dyatlov group were not wearing shoes, their body heat compacted the snow and melted it enough that the prints quickly became ice.  Then over the course of the next few weeks, the constant wind on the exposed slope blew the dry snow away, leaving the icy, compacted prints.  The searchers assumed they were from the Dyatlov group because the group was not in the tent, the footprints were leading away from the tent and most of them looked like unshod feet (you could see toe imprints and such.)  The forensic expert Churkina did go up and analyze them and they took pictures (although the pictures we seem to have of them are not really that detailed.)  I also think at the time that the footprints were found, everyone had expected the group was either lost or succumbed to a natural disaster of some kind, so they were not looking at the scene as a scene needing to be preserved for investigation.  They were thinking "the group was here, they are not now, there are footprints leading away, they therefore belong to the group."

But if everyone had expected the Group was either lost or succumbed to a natural disaster of some kind, why did a Forensics Expert go to the Scene  !  ?  And there must have been many more Photographs taken of the Footprints that we havnt seen.
DB

February 24, 2021, 10:52:11 AM
Reply #14

KFinn

But if everyone had expected the Group was either lost or succumbed to a natural disaster of some kind, why did a Forensics Expert go to the Scene  !  ?  And there must have been many more Photographs taken of the Footprints that we havnt seen.

The forensic expert was not there at the very beginning when the footprints were first found and the original searchers felt they must belong to the Dyatlov group.  I think the questions started to arise as the bodies were found and had injuries beyond hypothermia. 

I absolutely agree there must have been more pictures.  I think there are a lot more photos that may never see the light of day, sadly :(   I'd like to think it was just beaurocratic incompetence but at points, that really becomes hard to swallow.
-Ren

February 24, 2021, 02:28:55 PM
Reply #15

Nigel Evans

I don't get it, we know that two members of the group had footwear so what does that link prove?

As for "looking convex" but really being concave (rolls eyes).

February 25, 2021, 03:19:45 PM
Reply #16

tenne

walking with bare feet on snow does not melt them enough to make tracks. I live in the Canadian mountains and regularly step outside in bare feet in -10 and below (over heated feet, the ice feels really good) and I looked to see if I was leaving footprints. Nope.

February 25, 2021, 03:34:26 PM
Reply #17

Nigel Evans

walking with bare feet on snow does not melt them enough to make tracks. I live in the Canadian mountains and regularly step outside in bare feet in -10 and below (over heated feet, the ice feels really good) and I looked to see if I was leaving footprints. Nope.

It helps if it's wet snow, closer to 0C?

February 25, 2021, 03:49:42 PM
Reply #18

tenne

Then your feet leave prints because they dip into the snow, not because they melt it. but, if the weather was correct and it froze after, the wet snow would freeze into foot prints of ice. but they are pretty perfect footprints, not indistinct in that little time. Or at least here that is how it is.

February 25, 2021, 03:59:49 PM
Reply #19

Nigel Evans

Then your feet leave prints because they dip into the snow, not because they melt it. but, if the weather was correct and it froze after, the wet snow would freeze into foot prints of ice. but they are pretty perfect footprints, not indistinct in that little time. Or at least here that is how it is.

I think it's clear from the photos that the footprint columns are caused by compression given the width of the column relative to the width of the foot. If you agree what's your opinion of the snow, wet 0C or dry sub -10C?

February 25, 2021, 04:40:01 PM
Reply #20

tenne

I am going with wet snow and a temperature dip that froze them into ice. I personally do not think that feet walking in socks would melt the snow in -10. But I do not think that these foot prints, if that is what they are, were from the hikers. there was snow on the bodies under the cedar but they can see footprints walking down? they would have been covered by the snow that covered the bodies in the cedars. In fact, more snow should have fallen on the slope than on the bodies in the trees as trees do provide some protection

The other point I would like to make is walking in snow in socks isn't going to leave defined prints. the heat from the foot melts the snow slightly and it sticks to your sock, then it builds up as you walk, so the prints would be very indistinct within a few steps
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 05:31:02 PM by tenne »

February 25, 2021, 06:31:18 PM
Reply #21

KFinn

I am going with wet snow and a temperature dip that froze them into ice. I personally do not think that feet walking in socks would melt the snow in -10. But I do not think that these foot prints, if that is what they are, were from the hikers. there was snow on the bodies under the cedar but they can see footprints walking down? they would have been covered by the snow that covered the bodies in the cedars. In fact, more snow should have fallen on the slope than on the bodies in the trees as trees do provide some protection

The other point I would like to make is walking in snow in socks isn't going to leave defined prints. the heat from the foot melts the snow slightly and it sticks to your sock, then it builds up as you walk, so the prints would be very indistinct within a few steps

The difference between the cedar and the slope can be at least partially attributed to wind.  The ridge and slope see extreme wind, almost constantly.  Its quite a windy place.  The snow gets blown off so you have areas with very, very little snow cover at all and areas where it is caught with more depth.  The cedar is less windy.  Some have described the wind as completely gone by the time you reach the cedar.  It is a distinct difference.  In that area, the snow isn't blown away like the ridge but falls vertically.  I don't know the exact weather pattern pathways or streams to explain it better, sadly. 
-Ren

February 25, 2021, 07:13:49 PM
Reply #22

Manti

Regarding whether it was 0C or sub -10C snow, the weather even now at the end of February in Ivdel is -28C at night, -14C during the day...
I assume it is colder at the pass. Even if there was a warm front there in '59, I don't think it could have been 0C.

What mechanism are you considering that could have raised the temperature that much, Nigel?

February 26, 2021, 04:31:37 AM
Reply #23

Nigel Evans

Regarding whether it was 0C or sub -10C snow, the weather even now at the end of February in Ivdel is -28C at night, -14C during the day...
I assume it is colder at the pass. Even if there was a warm front there in '59, I don't think it could have been 0C.

What mechanism are you considering that could have raised the temperature that much, Nigel?
It's the Atmospheric Electricity theory. Basically the snow laden winds crossing the peaks and ridges create horizontally what happens vertically in thunder clouds, i.e. lots of static electricity which then has to go somewhere so there is a discharge into the mountain. Electrical discharge results in heat which warms the ground. This discharge can be slow (heating) or rapid (lightning and ball lightning). The effect is temporary and then the temperatures revert back to normal. Digging the tent into the snow creates a point of discharge into the mountain through insulating snow so that heating effects are observed local to the tent area (sastrugi around and firn snow on tent, level of snow dropped by 1 meter?). Streams have a trickle of water (Rustem's ice bed). Footstep columns are extremely wide and a foot scoops out a long track  (wet snow). Lightning creates burns, ball lightning has mass (half destroyed cedar, Eagle photo and scorched treetops). Electrical discharge creates NO2 which poisons lungs (silo fillers disease). Meltwater causes a ravine slab slide. Curious lack of frostbite.

Basically over a few hours it's armageddon, then its back to normal. A big clue is the legend of the nine mansi hunters being found at the peak as if "boiled to death", history repeats. www.looo.ch talks about subsequent reports of fireballs coming down the mountain from military personnel stationed afterwards plus there's other reports of sustained cannon fire (thunder from cloud to cloud discharge). Also Tempalov thought he saw bomb craters at the bottom of the west side of Kholat during a helicopter ride which can be explained in the AET as ball lightning rolling down the other side.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 05:42:06 AM by Nigel Evans »

February 26, 2021, 06:54:22 AM
Reply #24

Nigel Evans

Further to my last post #24, i almost forgot the best bit of the AET.
Atmospheric electricity may create microwaves. The theory being that all this mechanical energy in swirling winds could vibrate air molecules at high frequencies such as - https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/23418/is-there-an-upper-frequency-limit-to-ultrasound
So if the air molecues are vibrating at MHz aren't the many free electrons also?

If so then you could be creating electromagnetic energy at radar frequencies? (Like is seen in many UFO reports).

So if during Cold War paranoia a country detected a foreign "metal" object on top of a mountain from it's early warning radar it might lob a missile or two at the thing? Maybe using banned or top secret nuclear technology? Then you'd need a coverup ordered from the top?
Vladimir Askenadzi (who found Lyudmila) stated that they were told it was a missile....

February 26, 2021, 10:24:56 AM
Reply #25

KFinn

Atmospheric electricity may create microwaves. The theory being that all this mechanical energy in swirling winds could vibrate air molecules at high frequencies such as - https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/23418/is-there-an-upper-frequency-limit-to-ultrasound
So if the air molecues are vibrating at MHz aren't the many free electrons also?

If so then you could be creating electromagnetic energy at radar frequencies? (Like is seen in many UFO reports).

So if during Cold War paranoia a country detected a foreign "metal" object on top of a mountain from it's early warning radar it might lob a missile or two at the thing? Maybe using banned or top secret nuclear technology? Then you'd need a coverup ordered from the top?
Vladimir Askenadzi (who found Lyudmila) stated that they were told it was a missile....

Okay, I'm starting to understand more of both the UFO theories and lightning/electricity related theories...and the complexity of how some different theories can intertwine.  They are both in my list to research but I haven't gotten there yet.  This is fascinating, actually!  I understand electricity better than radiation (I was raised by hippies turned academics; my family actively protested against the nuclear industry even to the point of my father delightedly being arrested for protesting, though I myself am fully supportive of it for energy production over the use of fossil fuels.  I feel we just need better standards for waste storage, is all.  Other than that, my knowledge is woeful.  But electricity and weather I have a much firmer grasp.)

I need to digest a little of this and poke around some so that my questions won't be... underdeveloped or inane.  I completely understand the dry air and static electricity relation.  (All too well as our winters can be quite low in humidity and have long, already unruly hair, I get it ALL too well, lol!)  I'm about to read the links you've posted.  Has there been any research on this possible phenomenon in the Himalaya?  I know the high altitude mountains in the Himalaya are very, very dry (except perhaps during monsoon season,) and very, very windy.  I'm an armchair fan of high altitude climbing but that focuses on the short climbing seasons which have a window of only a couple of weeks.  During those weeks when the wind is lessened, I don't hear much about lightning or electricity hazards but that is not to say it doesn't exist.  And lightning may not be seen in white out conditions when storms whip up.  Then again, would atmospheric lightning be the same?  The summit of Everest is cruising altitude for 747s.  When the temperature plummets, the jet stream sinks and the summit is above the jet stream in the atmosphere.  I'm getting off topic.  I'm sorry.  I would think though that the combination of dry air and high winds there could be an excellent venue for testing for microwave phenomena.  Okay, I need to sit down and read some rather than blathering on without a better understanding.  I'm trying to relate things in my head to situations I know more about but that may not even matter, lol. 
-Ren

February 26, 2021, 11:09:14 AM
Reply #26

KFinn

Okay, before I wind up reading in the wrong direction on this path...  I am seeing crossover between ultrasound frequencies, atmospheric frequencies, kinetic and electromagnetic energy, temp and humidity and infrasound.  Where your specific post is focusing, does infrasound factor, as well?  I'm pulling up scholarly articles that relate but some of them seem to be focusing more on the infrasound aspect and I don't want to focus in the wrong direction on this specific topic. 
-Ren

February 26, 2021, 11:22:28 AM
Reply #27

MDGross

Nigel, your AET is fascinating. Intense electrical discharge creates NO2, which is inhaled by the hikers. They need to seek shelter in the trees immediately. Scooping out a snow den seems like a good idea, but the snow above the ravine has been heated enough to cause a slab avalanche. This results in the crushing type injuries suffered by three of the hikers. OR the electrical energy creates microwaves that are seen on radar as a possible threat. A missile carrying a nuclear weapon strikes near the top of the mountain. Radiation is released and maybe toxic fumes from the missile fuel. Again, the hikers must flee immediately. Some of them suffer radiation burns. Radiation collects in their clothing. A coverup is essential. Not only did the Soviets violate the Test Ban Treaty, but the military's carelessness resulted in the deaths of nine innocent hikers. Either way, a plausible scenario.

February 26, 2021, 12:25:26 PM
Reply #28

Nigel Evans

Nigel, your AET is fascinating. Intense electrical discharge creates NO2, which is inhaled by the hikers. They need to seek shelter in the trees immediately. Scooping out a snow den seems like a good idea, but the snow above the ravine has been heated enough to cause a slab avalanche. This results in the crushing type injuries suffered by three of the hikers. OR the electrical energy creates microwaves that are seen on radar as a possible threat. A missile carrying a nuclear weapon strikes near the top of the mountain. Radiation is released and maybe toxic fumes from the missile fuel. Again, the hikers must flee immediately. Some of them suffer radiation burns. Radiation collects in their clothing. A coverup is essential. Not only did the Soviets violate the Test Ban Treaty, but the military's carelessness resulted in the deaths of nine innocent hikers. Either way, a plausible scenario.

Could be AND or OR....

February 26, 2021, 12:27:54 PM
Reply #29

Nigel Evans

Okay, before I wind up reading in the wrong direction on this path...  I am seeing crossover between ultrasound frequencies, atmospheric frequencies, kinetic and electromagnetic energy, temp and humidity and infrasound.  Where your specific post is focusing, does infrasound factor, as well?  I'm pulling up scholarly articles that relate but some of them seem to be focusing more on the infrasound aspect and I don't want to focus in the wrong direction on this specific topic.

Infrasound is sub audible frequencies, less than 20Hz. The microwave theory would need MHz.

http://aquarid.physics.uwo.ca/images/new/source of infrasound.jpg
But it's relevant to the dp - "airflow over mountains".
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 12:34:23 PM by Nigel Evans »