April 25, 2024, 04:26:26 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Who here on the forum has real life experience?  (Read 11536 times)

February 27, 2021, 08:35:54 AM
Read 11536 times

tenne

I am just curious of all the people commenting,
who here has had to light a fire in the winter with just matches and nothing prepared?
Who has cross country skied for at least an overnight winter camping trip?
Who had cross country skied carrying a back pack for an over night winter camping trip?
Who has set up a tent for winter camping?
Who has walked barefoot in at least -5 and snow?
Who has walked in socks in snow for any distance?
Who has had to build a winter shelter for protection?

I am just very curious how many have any real life experience in these situation?

February 27, 2021, 09:40:17 AM
Reply #1

KFinn

who here has had to light a fire in the winter with just matches and nothing prepared?
Who had cross country skied carrying a back pack for an over night winter camping trip?

I am just very curious how many have any real life experience in these situation?

My experience is mostly in Viking reenactment.  I don't even get matches to light my cooking fires, lol.  Its make your own bow drill or the strike method.  We hike in our kits in good weather and bad, snow, 90 degree sun, everything between.  Our tents are canvas A-frame style, so while we carry in the canvas, we have to make the poles when we camp.  Now, twenty years ago I was more into the primitive scene; I competed as a world ranked atlatlist and as a family we were flint knappers and taught primitive skills around the eastern seaboard of the US.  I've hunted with an atlatl, fished with one, etc. 
-Ren

February 27, 2021, 09:41:23 AM
Reply #2

Monty

Sometimes life gets the better of you pal. That's why we're here.

February 27, 2021, 10:15:15 AM
Reply #3

Nigel Evans

1. who here has had to light a fire in the winter with just matches and nothing prepared?
2. Who has cross country skied for at least an overnight winter camping trip?
3. Who had cross country skied carrying a back pack for an over night winter camping trip?
4. Who has set up a tent for winter camping?
5. Who has walked barefoot in at least -5 and snow?
6. Who has walked in socks in snow for any distance?
7. Who has had to build a winter shelter for protection?

Q. How many people have climbed Everest without doing 1,5,6,7?
A. Probably most.

English winters don't favour cross country skiing but i've done 2,3,4 on foot.

February 27, 2021, 12:39:09 PM
Reply #4

tenne

1. who here has had to light a fire in the winter with just matches and nothing prepared?
3. Who had cross country skied carrying a back pack for an over night winter camping trip?

A. Probably most.

Well, I don't what climbing Everest with porters to do all the carrying, setting up and cooking and cleaning etc has anything to do with this but okay.....

So basically you have no practical experience in what the 9 would have faced, that's all I wanted to know

February 27, 2021, 12:41:23 PM
Reply #5

tenne

My experience is mostly in Viking reenactment.  I don't even get matches to light my cooking fires, lol.  Its make your own bow drill or the strike method.  We hike in our kits in good weather and bad, snow, 90 degree sun, everything between.  Our tents are canvas A-frame style, so while we carry in the canvas, we have to make the poles when we camp.  Now, twenty years ago I was more into the primitive scene; I competed as a world ranked atlatlist and as a family we were flint knappers and taught primitive skills around the eastern seaboard of the US.  I've hunted with an atlatl, fished with one, etc.

Sounds awesome! I would love to be able to do that here. For me, it was quite a bit of girl scouts getting badges for winter camping and family fun. I really enjoy learning about primitive technology and trying it

February 27, 2021, 12:51:36 PM
Reply #6

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient

Good post. Obviously its not necessary for any one to have actually experienced what the Dyatlov Group experienced in order to try and decide what happened. But I suppose it helps to a certain extent to get the feel of what it must have been like in those weather conditions in such a remote place.
Me, well I havnt been any where as remote as the Dyatlov Group. I climbed or should I say scrambled up Mt Snowndon, Wales, in winter with snow and ice near the summit in plimsolls and corduroy trousers and jacket looking like some one on a Victorian afternoon outing in summer. A Military climbing group looked at me in amazement. I have camped in a canvas frame Tent in Wales during Hurricane Force winds that blew Trees down, etc. I survived along with the Tent. I have camped in snow in a primitive Mountain Tent half naked. It was cold. I have broken ice on lakes to Fish at 5am in the morning. It was cold. I did use matches to light any fires. Twigs burn well. The Dyatlov Group could be described as tough cookies. They were young and fit physically and mentally.
DB

February 27, 2021, 01:17:12 PM
Reply #7

tenne

your right, arm chair detectives with no understanding of what it would have taken would be able to comment knowledgably on what they faced and how they did it. much like I am totally confident that I can explain how to fly a jet plane because I know they fly

February 27, 2021, 01:24:30 PM
Reply #8

KFinn

Sounds awesome! I would love to be able to do that here. For me, it was quite a bit of girl scouts getting badges for winter camping and family fun. I really enjoy learning about primitive technology and trying it

I've always loved the outdoors but when my kids were young, I wanted to give them as broad of an education as possible.  My son had a brain injury in infancy and was a much better learner with hands on experience.  We first started competing in atlatl and doing the primitive thing so that I could help him find his niche.  He actually ranked higher than me for a few years in atlatl, (he was in the top five for youth in the world while I was only top seven for women.) My daughter seemed to be more of a natural with flint knapping.  The atlatl and flintknapping communities overlap extensively, since many atlatlists prefer primitive tips over modern field tips.  And there is also a lot of crossover events with primitive and mountain man era camps, so the progression from one into all of it was natural, lol.  Of course, my son is now 25 and pretty much lives on his computer, lol!  But, he is a semi-professional gamer (which I never even knew was an actual thing until he started doing it in college.). My daughter still does Viking reenactment with me, though.  Our family travels to Scandinavian festivals here in the states to run encampments and demonstrate Viking age skills, as well as running a thrown weapons range (we gave up atlatl to compete and teach in ax and knife throwing.)  I tend to focus more on running the encampment due to my health while my other half and daughter run the range.  We also participate in another organization that focuses on pre-1600 western Europe but that is less reenactment and more for fun, lol.  Mostly, I loved being able to let my kids experience history more first hand while teaching them self sufficiency skills.  I wanted to try and give them as much knowledge as possible so that they could be independent when needed (I always joked about them needing these skills in case of zombie apocalypse, lol!)  But, when we get lake effect snow off the Great Lakes and the electric and heat go out for days, we don't freeze or starve or really worry much, lol!  Best peace of mind as a parent!!!!! 
-Ren

February 27, 2021, 01:38:58 PM
Reply #9

Manti

Is that Fährenheit or Celsius?

February 27, 2021, 01:47:59 PM
Reply #10

ash73

Obviously its not necessary for any one to have actually experienced what the Dyatlov Group experienced in order to try and decide what happened.

That's a relief, I don't want to die in the cold before commenting on it.

February 27, 2021, 02:04:25 PM
Reply #11

tenne

Yes, that would suck, dying before you knew why :)

February 27, 2021, 02:05:28 PM
Reply #12

Monty

Oh the irony...

Most of us aren't lucky enough to live in the Urals.

February 27, 2021, 02:08:48 PM
Reply #13

tenne

I've always loved the outdoors but when my kids were young, I wanted to give them as broad of an education as possible.  My son had a brain injury in infancy and was a much better learner with hands on experience.  We first started competing in atlatl and doing the primitive thing so that I could help him find his niche.  He actually ranked higher than me for a few years in atlatl, (he was in the top five for youth in the world while I was only top seven for women.) My daughter seemed to be more of a natural with flint knapping.  The atlatl and flintknapping communities overlap extensively, since many atlatlists prefer primitive tips over modern field tips.  And there is also a lot of crossover events with primitive and mountain man era camps, so the progression from one into all of it was natural, lol.  Of course, my son is now 25 and pretty much lives on his computer, lol!  But, he is a semi-professional gamer (which I never even knew was an actual thing until he started doing it in college.). My daughter still does Viking reenactment with me, though.  Our family travels to Scandinavian festivals here in the states to run encampments and demonstrate Viking age skills, as well as running a thrown weapons range (we gave up atlatl to compete and teach in ax and knife throwing.)  I tend to focus more on running the encampment due to my health while my other half and daughter run the range.  We also participate in another organization that focuses on pre-1600 western Europe but that is less reenactment and more for fun, lol.  Mostly, I loved being able to let my kids experience history more first hand while teaching them self sufficiency skills.  I wanted to try and give them as much knowledge as possible so that they could be independent when needed (I always joked about them needing these skills in case of zombie apocalypse, lol!)  But, when we get lake effect snow off the Great Lakes and the electric and heat go out for days, we don't freeze or starve or really worry much, lol!  Best peace of mind as a parent!!!!!

That is awesome to hear and exactly why I grew up hunting and fishing and camping etc and it makes for a great childhood. I could have passed on the butchering though, not my favourite part of my childhood.... cows, pigs, chickens, turkey, rabbit, deer, moose, elk, but to eat them you have to butcher them so not a complete loss I guess

February 27, 2021, 02:22:04 PM
Reply #14

Nigel Evans

A. Probably most.

Well, I don't what climbing Everest with porters to do all the carrying, setting up and cooking and cleaning etc has anything to do with this but okay.....

So basically you have no practical experience in what the 9 would have faced, that's all I wanted to know

No one knows what they faced, Nicolai was found with his gloves in his pocket. Rustem was found on an ice bed with a boot full of water, lying in a stream? The frostbite profile that should have been there just wasn't.

February 27, 2021, 03:54:23 PM
Reply #15

tenne

I noticed that. or did they not mention it? it seems pretty strange to not mention it on all the fingers and toes at the very least

February 27, 2021, 04:45:27 PM
Reply #16

Manti

You don't get frostbite when you're frozen. Meat in your freezer doesn't have frostbite.

It only develops after the affected area is rewarmed and the dead cells decompose...

February 27, 2021, 04:59:41 PM
Reply #17

Manti

Anyway I have only done the walking in snow in socks, as a test, none of the other stuff.

Walking in socks is ok until your body heat starts melting the snow stuck to the socks, then it becomes very uncomfortable very fast.
So it's a bit of a mystery to me how they even got to the cedar/ravine area. I guess if your life is in danger and you have no other option to survive, it's  doable but at the same time, was there really anything at the cedar they could look forward to?

If they set out with the hope of starting a fire, why not take the saw with them, and the one piece of (presumably) dry firewood they already had? Otherwise why go the cedar?

February 27, 2021, 05:03:18 PM
Reply #18

Nigel Evans

You don't get frostbite when you're frozen. Meat in your freezer doesn't have frostbite.

It only develops after the affected area is rewarmed and the dead cells decompose...
If the expected temperature was say -20C and with wind chill say -60C? Then they should have experienced significant frostbite by the time they reached the cedar?
Then they warmed themselves next to a fire?

February 27, 2021, 05:14:09 PM
Reply #19

Manti

If the expected temperature was say -20C and with wind chill say -60C? Then they should have experienced significant frostbite by the time they reached the cedar?
Well yeah, in my opinion they tried but failed to warm themselves, but it's true they should definitely have frostbite by the time they reach the cedar, but what I'm saying is that the usual visual signs only develop after rewarming, in fact 1-2 days after rewarming: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/frostbite/multimedia/img-20114490

And presumably, only if you're still alive (not exactly sure about this).

February 27, 2021, 05:20:27 PM
Reply #20

Tony

Did a lot of those years ago when I was younger with scouts but not often and wish I'd done more of it. To be honest, I'd probably be pretty nervous to do a winter overnighter in a tent nowadays.

When I was a kid my friend had a hot tub in his back yard. We'd go over and sit in it in the winter and see who could run the perimeter of his yard barefoot in the snow (he had a pretty big back yard). I don't remember anyone making it even half way before cutting back across the yard and jumping back in the hot tub. Walking 1500 m in socks would be pain on another level.

I did have a tent I was in collapse in the middle of the night once due to snowfall which was pretty uneventful.

"If there exists a fact which can only be thought of as sinister. A fact which can only point to some sinister underpinning, you will never be able to think up all the non-sinister, perfectly valid explanations for that fact."
- Josiah Thomson

February 27, 2021, 05:29:04 PM
Reply #21

KFinn

I also believe that Yasuko Namba, who died on Everest in the 1996 blizzard, had severe frostbite to her hands, feet and face (she was without gloves by the time they descended to where she ultimately perished.)  Her body was frozen and her hands were discolored.  They weren't the black that we normally see after rewarming but some of the first signs of frostbite are discoloration (pale yellow or white, waxy appearance, skin gets hard and swollen and then begins to blister.)  But there should have been indications of frostbite for just about all of the Dyatlov group if they all made it down to the cedar from the ridge by foot, I should think.  For some it may have been larger areas than others (fingertips as opposed to an entire hand.)

Has anyone read any of Beck Weather's personal accounts from Everest?  He was left for dead, a couple of times, managed to rise from the dead and amble back to high base camp. His limbs were completely frozen solid and he lost his feet, his nose, and at least one arm almost to the elbow.  I just wonder if anywhere in his accounts he mentions what the areas looked like before he was brought down to camp 2 where he was evacuated.  Obviously, Everest conditions are different than the Urals as both Namba and Weathers were in the Death Zone and had hypoxia, so they were freezing both from outside in and inside out.  But I think there could be much to gain as far as frostbite indications and what should have been either noticeable on the bodies or mentioned in the autopsy reports. 
-Ren

February 27, 2021, 05:46:54 PM
Reply #22

tenne

"the soft tissues of both hands and fingers tips are especially dark purple; all fingers and toes are severelly frostbitten. If Yuri Doroshenko would have survived, he would have required an amputation of all his toes and fingers."

"frostbites on the phalanges of fingers"  Zinaida

This is all I can find mentioning frostbite

February 27, 2021, 06:01:02 PM
Reply #23

Manti

If you look at the photos, there is also discoloration on their ears and the damage to the noses could also be due to freezing

February 28, 2021, 02:22:32 AM
Reply #24

Nigel Evans

If you look at the photos, there is also discoloration on their ears and the damage to the noses could also be due to freezing
My wife's ear gained a purple edge when we were caught in a -35C storm in the alps. She's not a fast skier so it was a slow descent into a headwind, probably didn't take an hour and she was beginning to suffer. (Just a bit more of that real life experience stuff!  grin1 ).

February 28, 2021, 09:12:30 AM
Reply #25

KFinn

My wife's ear gained a purple edge when we were caught in a -35C storm in the alps. She's not a fast skier so it was a slow descent into a headwind, probably didn't take an hour and she was beginning to suffer. (Just a bit more of that real life experience stuff!  grin1 ).

Oh, not fun!!  i hope she was able to get them warm quickly!!  I'm on the autoimmune spectrum (its not Highlander, you never only have one autoimmune disorder, it seems,) and have Reynauds syndrome, where the blood vessels in your extremities spasm in sudden temperature changes.  My toes would suddenly turn almost black in the shower and then bright white when I got out.  Its actually more common than I'd have thought and easily treatable (it also means I dont get to run around barefoot, sadly) but it does make for a fun party trick when you want to get annoying people to leave you alone!

I spent my short time in the Swiss alps with my nose in a book watching out the window, lol.  Although, we were there late in May and just below the snow line so there was no real opportunity to even try skiing.  I did however make my usual social mark on the area.  We were in some six story chateaux up the mountain from a quaint little village that had amazing fondue   But hour 1, I had to check out the porch outside our rooms on the fifth floor and looked at my roommates conspiratorily and said, "watch this!!"  I shouted, "Riccola!" as loud as my lungs would allow and got a shouted response back from the village below, "like we haven't heard *that* before!"  Still makes me laugh, lol!!  (I should seriously not be allowed out with a supervisor.)
-Ren

February 28, 2021, 12:49:22 PM
Reply #26

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient

Well a few years ago during a nasty freezing blast from the East I walked across a field in Sussex, England, and started freezing. Does getting older make you more susceptible to frostbite ? Surely being young and fit must be an advantage in fighting off frostbite !
DB

February 28, 2021, 01:18:14 PM
Reply #27

KFinn

Well a few years ago during a nasty freezing blast from the East I walked across a field in Sussex, England, and started freezing. Does getting older make you more susceptible to frostbite ? Surely being young and fit must be an advantage in fighting off frostbite !

We don't get older we just get more seasoned.  And in this case, the milder the season, the easier to shake off the cold, lol! 
-Ren

February 28, 2021, 07:29:15 PM
Reply #28

Investigator

"Real life experience" is what led to the DPI in the first place!  Who would have tried to do what they did that night, other than people who thought they had enough experience to survive under those conditions?  And "experts" are considered (at least in legal courts) to have opinions that are superior to those who have some amount of experience.  Profiler Pat Brown has an interesting story on the subject (from her book, "The Profiler"):
The family felt that the police rushed to judgment and failed to perform a proper investigation. They didn’t even test for fingerprints on the gun or the beer bottle between his legs. The family thought somebody staged that. They wanted the beer bottle and gun tested for fingerprints and they wanted people interviewed, but none of this was done. The family fought long and hard to prove that Brian would not have attempted suicide. They insisted he wasn’t depressed or upset or having any problems in life.

They came to me and said, “Can you look into this case and bring us some peace?”
One thing I learned right off was that “experts” often disagree with each other. At the beginning of my career, I wasn’t all that familiar with what happens when you shoot yourself with a shotgun, what happens to your head, what happens with the blood, in what direction the pieces go, and what happens to the wadding in the shotgun. I wasn’t a ballistics expert, so I sought out people who were. The original person I approached gave me information that turned out to be incorrect, and I had based a good portion of my initial profile on that.

In the beginning, I agreed with the family. I thought the blood looked like it was going in the wrong direction. But that was an error on my part, because I believed what the first expert told me.

I eventually sought out a different expert, but something still seemed wrong with the picture.
A third ballistics expert brought yet another conflicting opinion but one that came with a much better explanation. That’s how I learned that I shouldn’t blindly believe an expert; I need to find out why they believe what they do. We often see a courtroom expert who will give an opinion, but nobody bothers asking him exactly how he came to that opinion. Just because an expert says “In my professional opinion…” doesn’t mean you should automatically believe he is correct. The courts are a great example of this. How is it that the prosecution expert and the defense expert almost always give opposing opinions? They can’t both be right.

A profiler should always have a thorough explanation of each point in his profile so that anybody, whether a police detective or a victim’s mother, can understand exactly why we believe what we write. Any forensic expert should have a thorough explanation as well. I learned in this case to require any expert who analyzes any portion of a case I am working on to do the same.
The Lewis family believed that Brian did not pull the trigger on the gun that killed him. Someone else must have been responsible.

Why was the evidence so difficult to understand?  "If you don’t understand how a shotgun works, you might misinterpret the blood spatter evidence. Most of us are much more familiar with how a handgun works... [However, the person who committed suicide] used a shell that contained dove and quail shot, lots of little pellets with a bunch of powder propelling them. Basically, instead of a bullet tearing through the head in a straight line, a bomb is launched into the brain. Once that is accomplished, it explodes, and blood gases come into play. They expand, just like a bomb, and the gases move more easily against the places of least resistance. The skull is pretty strong, but the nose and eye sockets are permeable cavities, so Brian’s face exploded but his skull remained intact."

And from the many accounts of issues in the cold weather I've read, along with what one reads in the DG's diary, it still amazes me that people think that pitching two old canvas tents sewn together (and that would come apart at night under much better conditions) in that location, under those weather conditions, and without any heat source was anything other than a "recipe for disaster."  And their problem was further compounded by the fact that it wasn't likely anyone would come help them until after they froze to death (and they couldn't even signal for help with flares).  Whether they recognized how dire their situation was, or if they thought it wouldn't be too difficult to survive with whatever their original plan was, is a question I'd really like to have answered, but the evidence does not point to any great mystery, and the fact that there are other, more puzzling cases, attest to how often people get into trouble when they engage in these kinds of outdoor activities (look at the mortality statistics).

February 28, 2021, 11:33:15 PM
Reply #29

RidgeWatcher

I built a snow shelter during the winter in Alaska with my husband, but we did it intentionally and had good bags and pads. It was on a large prairie surrounded by trees but only about 1 mile/1.6km from our house and about 150 yards from a good trail. We had two dogs, an Alaskan Husky and our half Lab/half Wolf to help us keep warm. Looking back on it I think we were crazy.