April 24, 2024, 09:08:15 PM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: were the photos ever forensically examined?  (Read 5611 times)

March 02, 2021, 05:25:12 PM
Read 5611 times

tenne

I done some searching and can't find any evidence for or against the photos being examined by a forensic investigator to see if they have been manipulated at all. Does anyone know and can point me to it?

I find the subjects of the photos to be very strange. I'm old enough to remember having to use film and get it developed and we were far choosier over what we spent our film on. Why so many photos of the same things? surely they could have gotten together and traded photos at the end, I know I did on trips. film was expensive to get developed so we didn't take 300 shots of one thing because we could :)

March 03, 2021, 02:43:33 PM
Reply #1

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient
I done some searching and can't find any evidence for or against the photos being examined by a forensic investigator to see if they have been manipulated at all. Does anyone know and can point me to it?

I find the subjects of the photos to be very strange. I'm old enough to remember having to use film and get it developed and we were far choosier over what we spent our film on. Why so many photos of the same things? surely they could have gotten together and traded photos at the end, I know I did on trips. film was expensive to get developed so we didn't take 300 shots of one thing because we could :)

I dont find the Photographs strange. I dont see many photos of the same things  !  ?  What I find strange is, as usual, missing Evidence. And in the case of the Photographs, missing photos.
DB

March 03, 2021, 02:55:05 PM
Reply #2

tenne

Well, the horse with 5 legs stood out to me. Along with someone skiing with no poles and people standing straight up with heavy backpacks on. Doesn’t work that way

March 03, 2021, 03:57:51 PM
Reply #3

sarapuk

Well, the horse with 5 legs stood out to me. Along with someone skiing with no poles and people standing straight up with heavy backpacks on. Doesn’t work that way

Horse with 5 legs  ! ?
DB

March 03, 2021, 04:14:45 PM
Reply #4

RMK

Horse with 5 legs  ! ?
I believe that refers to this photo.

The fifth "leg" is the horse's tail.

Edit:  You know, there was a user, Gorojanin, who posted a thread a little more than a year ago to make the case that all of the Dyatlovites' photos taken after January 26 were forged.  Gorojanin didn't seem to make many converts...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 04:27:14 PM by RMK »

March 03, 2021, 04:42:50 PM
Reply #5

sarapuk

Horse with 5 legs  ! ?

Edit:  You know, there was a user, Gorojanin, who posted a thread a little more than a year ago to make the case that all of the Dyatlovites' photos taken after January 26 were forged.  Gorojanin didn't seem to make many converts...

Yeah I know. I suppose there will always be those who try to make something out of nothing. The Dyatlov Case is difficult enough without the need for 5 legged horses.
DB

March 03, 2021, 05:17:11 PM
Reply #6

tenne

I have been around horses my entire life. that isn't the tail IMO. but we will never prove it. I also have cross country skied with a heavy backpack and you don't stand stand straight up and down and you don't walk. I am not the least bit surprised that he didn't get many converts. very few people think that it didn't happen there. I am one who thinks it didn't happen there. When you can't fit the evidence to the scene, then it doesn't fit and you have to find a scene to fit the evidence. I'm only sure what I think didn't happen so far, I'm not tied to any ideas of what did

March 03, 2021, 05:22:43 PM
Reply #7

KFinn

Horse with 5 legs  ! ?

Ah, yes.  I believe he was pretty thoroughly debunked in the Russian forums.
-Ren

March 03, 2021, 05:53:05 PM
Reply #8

tenne

its fascinating that anyone can debunk anything in a case where no one knows for sure what is true and what isn't. other than 9 people died

March 04, 2021, 10:00:42 AM
Reply #9

Tony

I have been around horses my entire life. that isn't the tail IMO. but we will never prove it. I also have cross country skied with a heavy backpack and you don't stand stand straight up and down and you don't walk. I am not the least bit surprised that he didn't get many converts. very few people think that it didn't happen there. I am one who thinks it didn't happen there. When you can't fit the evidence to the scene, then it doesn't fit and you have to find a scene to fit the evidence. I'm only sure what I think didn't happen so far, I'm not tied to any ideas of what did

Doesn't look like a horse leg at all. Looks like part of the sled or something attached to the sled. Why would someone forge a photo to add an additional leg to a horse?

I've cross-country skied many times. I'm an avid snowboarder and skied when I was younger. There is nothing odd about the way they are skiing or standing on their skis. Not sure what you're eluding to - that they're photos of them not skiing and they were repurposed to make it look like they were skiing?

"If there exists a fact which can only be thought of as sinister. A fact which can only point to some sinister underpinning, you will never be able to think up all the non-sinister, perfectly valid explanations for that fact."
- Josiah Thomson

March 04, 2021, 10:10:23 AM
Reply #10

tenne

I am not sure what I am thinking why it is but when I have cross country skied with a heavy backpack that I needed poles and no way could I stand up straight. Nor could anyone else. I just find it strange that they are carrying that much weight and skiing in that position but one isn't using poles.

It doesn't look like something attached to the sled to me but rather a modified photo. that's why I am wondering if the photos have ever been forensically examined. all we can do is speculate, that would tell us yes or no

March 04, 2021, 10:16:58 AM
Reply #11

KFinn

Doesn't look like a horse leg at all. Looks like part of the sled or something attached to the sled. Why would someone forge a photo to add an additional leg to a horse?

I've cross-country skied many times. I'm an avid snowboarder and skied when I was younger. There is nothing odd about the way they are skiing or standing on their skis. Not sure what you're eluding to - that they're photos of them not skiing and they were repurposed to make it look like they were skiing?

As linked above, there was a poster here a couple years-ish back who believed the photos were faked and part of a cover-up.  He had previously posted his theories in the Russian forums (there is a link to those in the link to this forum if you can translate the pages.)   The WAB, who is a very reputable individual with amazing credentials and also vast experience in hiking in Russia, had responded about the theory but the original poster was highly combative if I recall.  (I followed the forums then but did not post at all until very recently, myself.)  I've not read the Russian forums to know the specifics, to be honest. 
-Ren

March 04, 2021, 10:40:23 AM
Reply #12

tenne

I read his thread and some of the photos that I had thought looked fake before I read his thread were some of the same he had. Others I'm not sure, its subjective. That's why a forensic analysis would tell us for sure.

Now, I'm old and used black and white film and that might be why some jumped out at me.

March 04, 2021, 12:39:53 PM
Reply #13

mk

Yes, I remember being very concerned about only taking shots I was confident would turn out well--it wasn't worth the risk of wasting an exposure.  But I don't know that their choices speak to any specific foul play in that respect.  To me, it seems that they just didn't care all that much about photography.  The shots seem to lack imagination or foresight.  Something funny happened and someone pulled out their camera then everyone thought, "Oh yeah--pictures..." and did the same thing. The taking of photos seems, for many of them, almost to be a way of communicating with others *at that moment*.   A way of saying, "You are doing something amusing and making yourself worthy of a photograph," rather than a thoughtful preservation of an event. 

March 04, 2021, 01:03:45 PM
Reply #14

tenne

that could be for sure but on a trip to get their level 3 certification, and no way to buy more film if they ran out, I just can't see them randomly snapping photos. That could just be me of course and it might not have been a concern for them. Maybe they didn't have to prove the trip to the authorities to get their level 3

March 04, 2021, 01:04:19 PM
Reply #15

Tony

I am not sure what I am thinking why it is but when I have cross country skied with a heavy backpack that I needed poles and no way could I stand up straight. Nor could anyone else. I just find it strange that they are carrying that much weight and skiing in that position but one isn't using poles.

It doesn't look like something attached to the sled to me but rather a modified photo. that's why I am wondering if the photos have ever been forensically examined. all we can do is speculate, that would tell us yes or no

If you google "cross country skiing with backpack" there are several photos that are very similar the Dyatlov group photos. For starters, here's one:

I just don't see anything that unusual about the photos.
"If there exists a fact which can only be thought of as sinister. A fact which can only point to some sinister underpinning, you will never be able to think up all the non-sinister, perfectly valid explanations for that fact."
- Josiah Thomson

March 04, 2021, 01:21:30 PM
Reply #16

KFinn

that could be for sure but on a trip to get their level 3 certification, and no way to buy more film if they ran out, I just can't see them randomly snapping photos. That could just be me of course and it might not have been a concern for them. Maybe they didn't have to prove the trip to the authorities to get their level 3

Part of the proof would have been leaving a note at a cache sit on Mt. Otorten (they sent students there to check if the group had made it that far but the last note cached was from a Moscow group in 1957.)  I don't know what else was required to document the hike for verification.  I would think some of it would be honor system based in that if the group were caught lying about the hike to get a certified level, their integrity would be questioned in all aspects and they would probably never receive funding to hike again.  But I honestly do not know the answer to this, other than the cached note at the midpoint.
-Ren

March 04, 2021, 01:25:33 PM
Reply #17

tenne

That is a good point, I am just assuming that they would want to prove the trip. not only to the officials but to friends and family back home.

But now I'm more interested in how did they get the tent to that spot without a sled? no way a canvas 10 men tent is folding up into a back pack and it would be too heavy to carry

March 04, 2021, 05:18:08 PM
Reply #18

sarapuk

its fascinating that anyone can debunk anything in a case where no one knows for sure what is true and what isn't. other than 9 people died

Well we have to go with what we are given. We could say that everthing is fake. But does anyone really believe that this Dyatlov Incident is fake ! ? I believe it happened and that most, if not all, of the information we have is genuine. Its whats missing that is the problem.
DB

March 04, 2021, 05:21:01 PM
Reply #19

sarapuk

My thought as well. It looks like a part of the Sled. I dont know why some keep trying to find fault with things. It just makes it harder work to try and figure out what actually happened.
DB

March 04, 2021, 05:24:38 PM
Reply #20

sarapuk

It is almost certain that the Photos were examined along with other things. The interesting part is what actually happened to the examination reports for the various things  ! ? Missing along with much Evidence.
DB

March 04, 2021, 05:35:16 PM
Reply #21

sarapuk

Yes, I remember being very concerned about only taking shots I was confident would turn out well--it wasn't worth the risk of wasting an exposure.  But I don't know that their choices speak to any specific foul play in that respect.  To me, it seems that they just didn't care all that much about photography.  The shots seem to lack imagination or foresight.  Something funny happened and someone pulled out their camera then everyone thought, "Oh yeah--pictures..." and did the same thing. The taking of photos seems, for many of them, almost to be a way of communicating with others *at that moment*.   A way of saying, "You are doing something amusing and making yourself worthy of a photograph," rather than a thoughtful preservation of an event.

Well I remember the 1960's fairly well when I was a lad and Camera's in general were pretty basic. Basic for most people that is. Unless you were a dedicated Photographer with the best equipment. I used to be out and about a lot in the wilds and never bothered to take Photos. When I did they where pretty bland snapshots similar to some of the Dyatlov shots. So the Dyatlov Group seemed to have been Adventurers first and Photographers second.
DB