April 26, 2024, 12:41:48 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: did the 9 hikers bring a sled with them?  (Read 3791 times)

March 04, 2021, 06:51:09 AM
Read 3791 times

tenne

Does anyone know if the hikers had a sled with them to pull heavy stuff behind them or was it all on back packs? The trapper I talked to estimated the tent to weigh about 110 lbs and it would be very bulky and wouldn't fold up neatly into a backpack but the only indication I can find of a sled is the horse drawn one that they hired and it took Yudin back
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 09:04:22 AM by tenne »

March 04, 2021, 08:51:07 AM
Reply #1

RMK

Does anyone know if the hikers had a sled with them to pull heavy stuff behind them or was it all on back packs?
"Kolevatov's device" mentioned in Kolmogorova's diary is believed to have been an improvised sled made with a spare set of skis.

Somewhere on the forum, Vladimir Borzenkov (username WAB) mentioned that dragging gear by sled only works well in flat, open terrain.

March 04, 2021, 09:06:04 AM
Reply #2

tenne

I would have thought there would be photos of it or a mention of it being found in the belongings but I can't find any mention. Doesn't mean it isn't there, my eyes are starting to cross with all the information. if anyone finds a mention of it or a photo, please let me know. I really can't see how the tent was carried if not on a sled

March 04, 2021, 12:38:46 PM
Reply #3

tenne

There is no mention in the inventory, that I can find, that mentions a sled. So how did they get a 10 man canvas tent to that spot? it would be heavy, very bulky and not fit into a back pack.

March 05, 2021, 02:45:32 AM
Reply #4

Nigel Evans

I think they used the spare pair of skis as a sled (suitably lashed up).

The tent could be carried by one man.

March 05, 2021, 05:41:50 AM
Reply #5

tenne

Skis would make a good sled. good idea.