March 19, 2024, 12:47:29 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Question about the ravine  (Read 5583 times)

January 21, 2019, 08:48:40 AM
Read 5583 times

Dominov

Hi

Still thinking about this incident...

And the ravine is something I don't understand at all. Probably someone can point me in the right direction.

A creek or a ravine is filled with snow during wintertime. In the Ural winter lasts from October to May. A ravine accumulates more and more snow to the point of not being a ravine anymore. The search party had to dig 2.5 to 3.5 meters deep where they found the bodies at the bottom of the ravine. I guess in Februray of 1959 a lot of snow had already fallen und filled the ravine. In may 1959 it was still filled with snow although the snow started melting.

So my question is: How did the 4 bodies magically drift through the masses of snow to the bottom of the ravine?

Did they dig a hole, a den, some kind of dugout with their bare hands untill they reached the bottom of the ravine? Or wasn't there just that much snow in February 1959? The latter possibilty seems highly unlikely to me looking at the pictures taken by the first search party. There was plenty of snow on the slope of DM and plenty of it on the ravine slope.

So how did they get to the bottom of the ravine? Did someone dug a hole and buried them there? Did they dug that hole themselves?

Did they even trigger a non-starter (unexploded bomb) while digging a hole? Yes i know, there is this bed of twigs... It doesn't look destroyed.

Short story long: Why were they found on the bottom of the ravine? That (among many other mysteries) just doesn't make sense to me.

Any ideas, suggestions?

regards

Dominov

January 21, 2019, 11:46:35 AM
Reply #1

Nigel Evans

Semyon was found holding his notebook so it's (very?) likely that he died as found.

So why no snow in the ravine by the end of January?
Explosion?
Melted?

January 21, 2019, 12:13:47 PM
Reply #2

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
Semyon was found holding his notebook

Pretty sure this was debunked.  It was found in his pocket.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 01:12:05 PM by Loose}{Cannon »
All theories are flawed....... Get Behind Me Satan !!!

January 21, 2019, 01:00:29 PM
Reply #3

Nigel Evans

Semyon was found holding his notebook

Pretty sure this wss debunked.  It was found in his pocket.
Askinadze recently published a letter in Ural Pathfinder magazine, in which he recalls that the distance between all the heads of those found in the brook was about 30 cm (about 11.5 inches) – they were all very close to each other. As for Dubinina, he says her head was laying down on a kind of a natural ledge with water rolling over it. Her mouth was open. When we tried to pull them out, we saw Zolotariov had a notebook in one hand and a pen in the other. Ortukov saw this, grabbed the book, read it and immediately cursed Zolotariov with a disparaging word and said: ‘He’s written nothing.’

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 01:05:15 PM by Teddy »

January 21, 2019, 01:14:49 PM
Reply #4

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
I know this Nigel, but I believe its been debunked. Ill try to find where its posted.
All theories are flawed....... Get Behind Me Satan !!!

January 21, 2019, 02:39:57 PM
Reply #5

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient
Hi

Still thinking about this incident...

And the ravine is something I don't understand at all. Probably someone can point me in the right direction.

A creek or a ravine is filled with snow during wintertime. In the Ural winter lasts from October to May. A ravine accumulates more and more snow to the point of not being a ravine anymore. The search party had to dig 2.5 to 3.5 meters deep where they found the bodies at the bottom of the ravine. I guess in Februray of 1959 a lot of snow had already fallen und filled the ravine. In may 1959 it was still filled with snow although the snow started melting.

So my question is: How did the 4 bodies magically drift through the masses of snow to the bottom of the ravine?

Did they dig a hole, a den, some kind of dugout with their bare hands untill they reached the bottom of the ravine? Or wasn't there just that much snow in February 1959? The latter possibilty seems highly unlikely to me looking at the pictures taken by the first search party. There was plenty of snow on the slope of DM and plenty of it on the ravine slope.

So how did they get to the bottom of the ravine? Did someone dug a hole and buried them there? Did they dug that hole themselves?

Did they even trigger a non-starter (unexploded bomb) while digging a hole? Yes i know, there is this bed of twigs... It doesn't look destroyed.

Short story long: Why were they found on the bottom of the ravine? That (among many other mysteries) just doesn't make sense to me.

Any ideas, suggestions?

regards

Dominov

There are many aspects of the Dyatlov Mystery that do not make sense.  Anyway, if you are familiar with Snow environments then you will know that some parts of Hills or Mountains accumulate much more Snow that other parts.  And Ravines in particular are likely spots for a lot of Snow to accumulate. Interesting though that with this particular Case such a lot of Snow accumulated in a relatively short period of time in order to cover the bodies, if in fact they died where they fell or lay down or whatever.
DB

January 21, 2019, 03:26:17 PM
Reply #6

cennetkusu

Yes, some snowfall in the mountains can accumulate more snow ... But what is not found in the calls made with dozens of people 25 days after the incident .... No dogs were ??? In such an event, there was no need to bring tracker dogs ??? What is the probability of having a layer of snow about 2.5 - 3 meters in 25 days? I think there's very little chance. If it snows a lot and the wind blows it maybe it pushes into the cupping ......
You're alone and desperate. Connect with God, you won't be alone and you're a saint.

January 21, 2019, 04:38:07 PM
Reply #7

sarapuk

Yes, some snowfall in the mountains can accumulate more snow ... But what is not found in the calls made with dozens of people 25 days after the incident .... No dogs were ??? In such an event, there was no need to bring tracker dogs ??? What is the probability of having a layer of snow about 2.5 - 3 meters in 25 days? I think there's very little chance. If it snows a lot and the wind blows it maybe it pushes into the cupping ......

I think we need to be careful with any SNOW ACCUMULATION SCENARIOS. By all accounts the winds in the area of the Dyatlov Pass could be very severe and many people are amazed at the severity. Such severity could cause excessive snow accumulations in some parts and yet strip snow away from other parts.
DB

January 21, 2019, 10:41:47 PM
Reply #8

Dominov

I think we need to be careful with any SNOW ACCUMULATION SCENARIOS. By all accounts the winds in the area of the Dyatlov Pass could be very severe and many people are amazed at the severity. Such severity could cause excessive snow accumulations in some parts and yet strip snow away from other parts.

Judging from the pictures taken by the second search mission the bed of twigs was not on water level, that is, not on the same level as the bodies, right?

Btw. under these snow-covered ravines there is still water running. I hiked over such ravines in the Swiss Mountains in Spring time. If you break through the layer of snow ice, you fall into an icy stream of water where you can get stuck and crushed.

regards

Dominov

January 22, 2019, 11:27:28 AM
Reply #9

sarapuk

Judging from the pictures taken by the second search mission the bed of twigs was not on water level, that is, not on the same level as the bodies, right?

Btw. under these snow-covered ravines there is still water running. I hiked over such ravines in the Swiss Mountains in Spring time. If you break through the layer of snow ice, you fall into an icy stream of water where you can get stuck and crushed.

regards

Dominov

Exactly. Like a Crevasse or Crevice, snow can accumulate over them, hence the great danger for people in Mountain areas.  But the Dyatlov Ravine is not such a deep Crevasse or Crevice like area.  Another reason to possibly rule out a fall of any kind being responsible for those very serious injuries.
DB