April 23, 2024, 05:28:12 PM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Zolotaryov and the CIA  (Read 3802 times)

February 27, 2020, 10:22:26 AM
Read 3802 times

MDGross

I recently made an inquiry to the CIA for information about Semyon Aleksandrovich Zolotaryov. The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) affords me that right. I had no expectation of getting any information, but I wanted the learning experience. I received a letter from the CIA a couple of days ago regarding my request. To quote from the letter:

"In accordance with Section 3.6(a) of Executive Order 13526, the CIA can neither confirm nor deny the existence or nonexistence of records responsive to your request. The fact of the existence or nonexistence of such records is itself currently and properly classified and is intelligence sources and methods information protected from disclosure by Section 6 of the CIA Act of 1949, as amended, and Section 102A(i)(l) of the National Security Act of 1947, as amended. Therefore your request is denied pursuant to FOIA exemptions (b)(1) and (b)(3)."

I have since learned that such wording is called the "Glomar response." This term was coined after the CIA used this wording to deny a newspaper reporter's request to confirm that the agency was using a ship built by GLObal MARine to recover a Soviet submarine lost at sea in 1975. I have 90 days to appeal this response to the Agency Release Panel. I can't think of a valid appeal, but if anyone has a suggestion, please post.

I forgot to mention that this post will self-destruct in five seconds!

February 27, 2020, 03:18:36 PM
Reply #1

Nigel Evans

Sounds like mission impossible.

February 29, 2020, 12:48:23 PM
Reply #2

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient
Its highly unlikely that you will get the information you are after.  Thats the nature of Intelligence Services.  In that respect they are all the same.  And shouldnt we all be suspicious if any Intelligence Agency gave us the information we were after  !  ?  Wouldnt we then question that information  !  ?  Etc.
DB

March 01, 2020, 08:38:26 AM
Reply #3

MDGross

You're probably correct. Disinformation is worse than no information. And with the standard response gives, you're left with:
• We can't confirm that we have information
• We can't deny that we have information, but it's classified
• We can't confirm that we don't have information
• We can't deny that we don't have information, but that's classified also
• If we have information, how we got it and from whom is classified
• If we don't have information, who we questioned and how we questioned them is classified.

You're left in total confusion.