April 17, 2024, 05:59:02 PM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Differences of opinion on the boots worn by the DPI?  (Read 3426 times)

October 08, 2020, 12:43:37 PM
Read 3426 times

Investigator

If we compare this description:

https://dyatlovpass.com/1959-search

to this one:

https://****.com/Europe/Russia/Cholat-%20Syachil/tent-%20footprints.html

In the former, it sounds like they wore "ski boots" outdoors and then the question is, did they wear the valenki boots inside the ski boots or inside the tent only?  In the latter, we are told they wore the valenki outside the tent and also had "indoor tent boots."  Curiously, the author doesn't seem surprised that these indoor tent boots were piled up in the one corner of the tent.  If they handled these indoor boots, why would they place them in the corner rather than wear them while sleeping, since it would be cold that night, without the stove to heat the tent?  Was that the practice of the time?  I've read accounts of mountain climbers, who said they take their outdoor boots off but place them inside their sleeping bags so that the boots don't freeze up overnight.

October 11, 2020, 03:04:59 AM
Reply #1

Teddy

Administrator
I am the "former" author. There aren't different opinions, just different translation of one word. Before getting into what that word is let me remind you how did all this go down.
The tent was found tattered, the items inside piled into an ice and snow covered mount. Any account on what was where is not accurate. Next day items are taken out, the tent flatten, small items put into backpacks, blankets and equipment wrapped into the tarpaulin of the tent and everything is dragged to the landings site, and taken to Ivdel airport, thawed and only then journalist Grigoriev takes the first inventory of what's found inside the tent.
https://dyatlovpass.com/grigoriev-2#scan36

For footwear we have ski boots, valenki and the word we have translated differently is "indoor tent boots" - there is no such thing. Grigoriev calls them "комнатные тапочки, которые надеваются в ботинки" which translates as "indoor slippers that are worn inside boots"
The official document in the case file is the "Protocol inspection of items found at the scene"

Valenki are worn on their own, not inside the boots. Valenki is what is used inside the tent and in the near vicinity around the tent, like when you go short distance to get logs, keep the fire, they do not have soles. If you are cold you sleep with them. They are a little bulgy so if you are fine with 3 pairs of socks under the blanket you may as well take them off. All of it stays inside the tent - boots, valenki, slippers.

You can see a dark color valenka behind Tibo who tripped over a saw horse, photo from District 41

« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 07:27:44 AM by Teddy »

October 11, 2020, 08:00:27 PM
Reply #2

Investigator

Thanks!  So there's no way to know exactly when the many cuts to the side of the two-in-one tent were made?  What about the seams that held the two tents together; were those totally intact?  If not, was there one or more cuts across them or did they begin to come apart by themselves, or do we not have enough information to know?

October 11, 2020, 11:40:55 PM
Reply #3

Teddy

Administrator

October 12, 2020, 02:49:05 PM
Reply #4

Investigator

It is common for cooperation to be necessary to solve a mystery or at least narrow down the possibilities.  I don't speak or read Russian and I am not being paid to do this, so I am trying to gather evidence that appears to be not in dispute.  You state:  "Any account on what was where [in the tent (s)] is not accurate" in your first post to this thread, yet in your second post you cited a web page that states the items were in specific locations, so with all due respect, you are generating more confusion than anything else, IMO.  Moreover, most people online seem to think that the tent (s) was definitely cut from the inside that night, to a degree that would allow the members of the group still inside the tent to get out that way.  If you think there is a good possibility this is not correct, I think a lot of people would want to hear your opinion on that, assuming there is something you can tell us about the tent (s) that is consistent with this uncommon notion.  I think if we can't say anything definitive about the tent, other than what we see in the picture taken when the rescuers came upon it, then the evidence would only suggest they likely wanted to secure the tent quickly because it was badly damaged (perhaps from the strong winds) or they thought severe damage would soon occur to it.  Igor or others may have believed it would be fairly easy to survive the night dressed the way they were, and there isn't much of a mystery, just an unfortunate assessment of their situation.