April 18, 2024, 03:14:31 PM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Quarrel and fight in the group?  (Read 4710 times)

October 20, 2020, 09:48:04 AM
Read 4710 times

Beluga1303

Sorry, if this thread already existed, please delete or move it.
When I look at the injury patterns of Yuri Doroshenko, Yuri Krivonischenko, Igor Dyatlov, Zinaida Kolmogorova, and Rustem Slobodin, I can't shake the feeling that there was a fight between these group members. Skin abrasions, scratches, swollow lips, and swollow eyes indicate a brawl.
Group 2 injuries show a completely different pattern.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 10:23:45 AM by Beluga1303 »
Someone knows the answer. But will we ever find out?

October 20, 2020, 10:52:42 AM
Reply #1

Investigator

It's possible but it also is a good illustration of why it's important to try and establish a reasonable sequence of events.  The tent was too tidy when the rescuers found it, apparently (they were two tents sewn together that were meant to accomodate 4 people each, remember), and the tent was secured well, and then they made their way slowly down the mountainside, where they started a fairly robust fire, ripped or cut a lot of branches off the trees, and dug out a den, with no evidence of fighting.  Therefore, it would be a good idea to try and recreate what they did to see if those activities could account for the inuries.  The "ravine 4" apparently fell into a crevasse type opening in the snow, and onto rocks that lined a creek.  They may have been huddled together, with Luda in front, so that when they fell into the crevasse type feature, not only did she fall onto rocks but the other guys fell on top of her.  The other 3 sustained varying degrees of injuries from this fall, but also possibly from securing the tent and ripping or cutting branches off the trees.  I think Igor and Slobodin may have fought, since they have some consistent bruising on the knuckles, but that could have also been due to trying to punch ice off the sides of the tent.  If they did fight, it likely would have occurred after the "two Yuris" died, and when that happened Zina might have become angry and started back to the tent.  But they probably were really cold and tired at this time, so I wonder how much energy they would have had to fight at that point.

October 20, 2020, 11:18:21 AM
Reply #2

Beluga1303

that is the question. Where did the argument or the fight begin? Already at the tent, or later, at the cedar? Yuri Krivonischenko may have been injured in the fight, passed out or even killed. (diffuse bleeding in the right temporal and occipital region due to damage to temporalis muscle )
Of course, he could also have fallen from the tree.
May be they also quarrel about Igor's decision to pitch the tent in the open space. In the extreme weather conditions.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 11:43:23 AM by Beluga1303 »
Someone knows the answer. But will we ever find out?

October 20, 2020, 02:57:27 PM
Reply #3

Investigator

The diaries suggest there was internal dissension, to be sure, but we can't jump to the conclusion that a physical fight definitely occurred.  It's a good possibility but I don't see it having a decisive effect on the main outcome.  I think pitching the tent where they did (possibly with no heat being part of it) led to the initial crisis, and then the secondary crisis was trying to prevent hypothermia after securing the tent.  Not taking blankets and possisbly other gear with them, if that was possible, was likely a huge mistake, but for all of this, a reconstruction would be a great idea to narrow down the possibilities.  I think it's quite interesting that the three who appeared to be returing to the tent were not together, nor was there any indication that they were working together (I think this may be because Zina got angry seeing one or both Yuris die, and decided that she was not listening to Igor any more, then the two guys tried to get her to come back).  Also interesting is whether the two survival plans (the fire and the den) were part of one plan (get warmed up then huddle together until dawn) or the group split up in terms of what they wanted to do until dawn.  When the two Yuris died, that would demonstrate that the fire idea was faulty, and so Zina may have decided not to listen to Igor any more (if the fire was his idea).

October 20, 2020, 04:23:33 PM
Reply #4

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient
Sorry, if this thread already existed, please delete or move it.
When I look at the injury patterns of Yuri Doroshenko, Yuri Krivonischenko, Igor Dyatlov, Zinaida Kolmogorova, and Rustem Slobodin, I can't shake the feeling that there was a fight between these group members. Skin abrasions, scratches, swollow lips, and swollow eyes indicate a brawl.
Group 2 injuries show a completely different pattern.

The Fight Theory crops up occasionally in this Forum. And it obviously leads to much speculation. But if you look at all the separate events or sequence of events nothing really jumps out and says that fighting amongst the Dyatlov Group caused their demise. Each event could be analysed, but we would still be missing evidence. And evidence is what we really need.
DB

October 30, 2020, 10:33:04 AM
Reply #5

Per Inge Oestmoen

There is no indication whatsoever that there was any fighting between the nine hikers.

October 31, 2020, 10:48:39 AM
Reply #6

mk

There is no indication whatsoever that there was any fighting between the nine hikers.
I have to agree.

Additionally, the history of these hikers shows no indication that any of them were the sort to indulge in intragroup brawls. I have known people who would, and they are not the kind who successfully work their way up to a level three qualification in outdoor leadership (or whatever it was called). On the other hand, the folks I know who are hard-core climbers and campers would die of  shame if they were involved in any kind of altercation with a climbing-mate.

It doesn’t mean the Dyatlov Nine always agreed, but getting into a brawl under those circumstances points to a lack of awareness, foresight, and self-control which would be the antithesis of everything they’ve demonstrated up to that point.

December 04, 2020, 12:57:12 AM
Reply #7

GKM

I believe there was a fight at some point but with whom I have no idea. I have trouble accepting that it was within the group itself or perhaps I don't want to believe that. Interesting is the fact that only five out of the nine showed signs of defensive wounds while the four in the ravine did not. Perhaps someone has a theory on this. If this "fight" happened a couple of days before their deaths why do only five have defensive wounds? Did the other four stand back and watch or break up the fight. Only conjecture as usual with this case.

December 04, 2020, 01:48:28 PM
Reply #8

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient
I believe there was a fight at some point but with whom I have no idea. I have trouble accepting that it was within the group itself or perhaps I don't want to believe that. Interesting is the fact that only five out of the nine showed signs of defensive wounds while the four in the ravine did not. Perhaps someone has a theory on this. If this "fight" happened a couple of days before their deaths why do only five have defensive wounds? Did the other four stand back and watch or break up the fight. Only conjecture as usual with this case.

Were those injuries actually injuries got in a fight. And the only footprints found were those that allegedly belonged to the Dyatlov Group.
DB