March 28, 2024, 10:02:45 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: What Questions Would You Ask?  (Read 9700 times)

March 21, 2021, 05:49:58 PM
Read 9700 times

KFinn

Aside from the obvious, (what actually happened?) if you could magically go back in time and place and ask any of the people involved in the DPI (hikers, searchers, prosecutors etc,) any question, what would you ask?  My criminology and forensic side would love to sit down with Churkina and ask some questions about the footprints and tent, for clarification.  My artsy side would love to ask Zolotaryev the meaning behind his tattoos.  And the nosey part of me would love to ask Zina once and for all if there was anything between her and Igor. 

What about you? 

(I'm absolutely not trying to make light of their tragedy but would love a little levity after a rough week.)
-Ren

March 22, 2021, 05:16:17 AM
Reply #1

tenne

I would ask Lyudia why she was in a bad mood. was it her menstrual cycle or a feeling of foreboding

March 23, 2021, 03:25:47 AM
Reply #2

Nigel Evans

I'd ask Ivanov what was (and wasn't) confiscated and what was removed from the casefiles.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 03:59:09 AM by Nigel Evans »

March 23, 2021, 07:54:32 AM
Reply #3

KFinn

I'd ask Ivanov what was (and wasn't) confiscated and what was removed from the casefiles.

Oh!  Good one!!!!
-Ren

March 23, 2021, 12:00:41 PM
Reply #4

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient

Oh!  Good one!!!!

I would go straight to the top and ask Nikita Khrushchev what happened.
DB

March 23, 2021, 12:31:12 PM
Reply #5

KFinn

Oh!  Good one!!!!

Oh, I have so many things I wish I could ask him!!!  Not just about Dyatlov, even.  Khruschev and George Boleyn are two historical figures I wish I could sit down and question, as weird as that sounds, lol!!!
-Ren

March 23, 2021, 04:15:17 PM
Reply #6

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient

Oh!  Good one!!!!

Oh, I have so many things I wish I could ask him!!!  Not just about Dyatlov, even.  Khruschev and George Boleyn are two historical figures I wish I could sit down and question, as weird as that sounds, lol!!!

It may or it may not be relative to this Dyatov Mystery but there are a lot of questions we could ask Nikita Khrushchev, aka the Cuba Missile Crisis of 1962, like would he really have launched a pre emptive strike against the USA if Jack Kennedy hadnt agreed to remove the US Missiles from Turkey  !  ? 
DB

March 23, 2021, 04:28:20 PM
Reply #7

marieuk

I'd like to ask Zolotaryev what he thought he was going to be famous for and similar to you, why Igor had a photo of Zina.  I guess he must have liked her to keep her photo.  I wonder if anyone else knew he had it.  Yes and also Lyuda why she seemed to be acting out of character. So many questions.

March 23, 2021, 07:49:40 PM
Reply #8

KFinn

I'd like to ask Zolotaryev what he thought he was going to be famous for and similar to you, why Igor had a photo of Zina.  I guess he must have liked her to keep her photo.  I wonder if anyone else knew he had it.  Yes and also Lyuda why she seemed to be acting out of character. So many questions.

Agreed!!!

I often wonder if Lyuda simply wanted to get on the trek, you know?  Like, I get overwhelmed and way over-stimulated during the process of getting TO a hike and I am SO grumpy, lol!!  I just want to get going but its hurry up and wait, packing and traveling to where we are hiking.  Being that they hadn't had a lot of sleep in the days of the trip from Sverdlovsk, and the trip itself was not comfortable (packed onto the train and then into a bus like sardines,) I've often hoped Lyuda was just grumpy and ready to get out and ski, lol.  It gives me hope that she refound her happiness in the final days.  She had such a gorgeous, full smile in some of the photos from previous treks that I wish we could have saved her from such a tragedy.  I wish they all had not experienced it.  Its hard, having kids their age and thinking, that could be my daughter or my son!! 
-Ren

March 24, 2021, 11:59:32 AM
Reply #9

Jay

The following has been nagging me, but forgive me if these have already been discussed before.

They were experienced hikers (except maybe Semyon Zolotaryov), they knew how to navigate. But still, did they have a compass or some kind of navigation equipment between them?
And how come so few torches between them and I haven't seen much talk about batteries for the torches - they knew they would be spending many dark nights on this expedition.

March 24, 2021, 12:04:51 PM
Reply #10

KFinn

The following has been nagging me, but forgive me if these have already been discussed before.

They were experienced hikers (except maybe Semyon Zolotaryov), they knew how to navigate. But still, did they have a compass or some kind of navigation equipment between them?
And how come so few torches between them and I haven't seen much talk about batteries for the torches - they knew they would be spending many dark nights on this expedition.

I'm always open to hearing other's question, even if they been asked!! 

They did have navigation aids.  I know there is a picture of Dyatlov with his compass.  It might take me a bit to find it, though.  They also had different maps of the area, although those and the topography drawings were taken during the investigation and have not reappeared in the case files :(
-Ren

March 24, 2021, 12:09:22 PM
Reply #11

KFinn

Okay, according to the case files, in the university project plan, the group was allotted five compasses:

https://dyatlovpass.com/case-files-199-208?rbid=17743
-Ren

March 24, 2021, 02:48:50 PM
Reply #12

marieuk

Agreed!!!

I often wonder if Lyuda simply wanted to get on the trek, you know?  Like, I get overwhelmed and way over-stimulated during the process of getting TO a hike and I am SO grumpy, lol!!  I just want to get going but its hurry up and wait, packing and traveling to where we are hiking.  Being that they hadn't had a lot of sleep in the days of the trip from Sverdlovsk, and the trip itself was not comfortable (packed onto the train and then into a bus like sardines,) I've often hoped Lyuda was just grumpy and ready to get out and ski, lol.  It gives me hope that she refound her happiness in the final days.  She had such a gorgeous, full smile in some of the photos from previous treks that I wish we could have saved her from such a tragedy.  I wish they all had not experienced it.  Its hard, having kids their age and thinking, that could be my daughter or my son!! 

Yes I completely agree.  Great post with some very interesting answers.  I like DB's approach - no messing about, straight to the top.

April 18, 2021, 08:34:57 AM
Reply #13

Manti

I would ask them about superstitions they had...

What did they think about the Yeti? Was it just a joke, or more? Why did they carry around onions and garlic in their pockets? Is the smell supposed to keep wolves away? What mineral did they hope to find in that core sample at 2nd Northern? Did they toy with the idea of finding something in the mountains? Gold perhaps? Why did Igor say they might be late?

April 18, 2021, 10:08:26 AM
Reply #14

KFinn

I would ask them about superstitions they had...

What did they think about the Yeti? Was it just a joke, or more? Why did they carry around onions and garlic in their pockets? Is the smell supposed to keep wolves away? What mineral did they hope to find in that core sample at 2nd Northern? Did they toy with the idea of finding something in the mountains? Gold perhaps? Why did Igor say they might be late?

Oh, excellent!!!!!!!
-Ren

April 19, 2021, 01:07:21 PM
Reply #15

eurocentric

My ouija board has recently interviewed them all. Thankfully one of the many wonders of the metaphysical was that it could translate English into Russian, and use cyrillic writing. It’ll take Google another 50 years to catch up.

Igor - Were you peeing normally on the hike, and why did you have a photo of Zina in your notebook?
I am dead 62 years and this is what you ask?! Yes, I pee, but I take in lots more fluids. A mutual friend at UPI asked me to give new photo back to Zina on hike. Is it true man land on the Moon, was it good Soviet?

Rustem - Why did you take a toy hedgehog and bear on the hike, were you photographed praying, and did you make use of your binoculars?
Lucky charms. I pray to the forest spirit for safe passage. I couldn't see much with binoculars, bad visibility, there was snow everywhere.

Semyon - Why did you leave your job before the hike, and what did you mean by making history, and what were you photographing at night?
I wanted to make fresh start. I make idle boast that it wouldn't be last they hear of me, and well, I was right, wasn't I. I photograph attack on den by <connection drops out>

Aleksander - Why did you lie about the date of your birthday, and were you KGB?
I was intellectually intrigued to see if they made fuss over me like they did Yurka the day before. All I got was tangerine. What is cagey bee? Oh, translation error...KGB.  No, but then if I was I would say same thing. We keep hearing things from new arrivals, is it true Berlin Wall come down, that Russians can drive all way to England and back?

Lyuda - Why were you in such a bad mood, it's not as if anyone forced you to go on the hike, it has some suggest you were premenstrual?
No it was not that! I was fed up playing Cinderella to Zina Kolmogorova. It all about her and the Yuris, first Doroshenko, then Yudin. I said to Krivo be careful or he would be next. I was young girl on hike with 7 men and only attention I get is rude remarks. Nobody dance with me after Symphony In Gold.

Tibo - What was with the feather in the hat? You, Krivo and Semyon. You wore them on past hikes too.
It show we are like birds of feather, comrades, best friends. I had bonded well with Semyon, and of course me and Yuri we were double act, and still are, we entertain all the souls, he sings, I tell jokes.

Yuri K - Were you the yeti, what was frame 34 and were you happy to bury your mandolin in the snow?
Yes, it was me, get over it, a man has private wash in forest. Frame 34 was torch. Do you know any banned revolutionary songs? Have they found my mandolin, can someone arrange for it to be sent on to me?

Zina - Did you make yourself a late addition to the hike because you liked hiking with Igor or because you knew Yurka was there and hoped to get back with him? And why did you not know what month and year it was.
I hoped with new clothes and hairdo, that he could see what he was missing. Not listen to his mother. And he gave me his mittens! First he attack bear, then make sure I'm warm. It shows he is fighting his feelings. I was so in love with him I didn't know what planet we were on, I followed him to the ends of the Earth, and beyond. Is he somewhere here?

Yuri D - Regarding Zina, did you not know how to let a girl down easy?
It was difficult when she join this trip, and I could not back out and let Igor down. I try to be civil and when she attempt to give me Birthday kiss I make up stories of my playboy past hoping it put her off. I have changed my name and adopted disguise of old Russian poet, you must not let Zina know I am here.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 01:33:46 PM by eurocentric »

April 19, 2021, 02:02:38 PM
Reply #16

Dona

My ouija board has recently interviewed them all. Thankfully one of the many wonders of the metaphysical was that it could translate English into Russian, and use cyrillic writing. It’ll take Google another 50 years to catch up.

Igor - Were you peeing normally on the hike, and why did you have a photo of Zina in your notebook?
I am dead 62 years and this is what you ask?! Yes, I pee, but I take in lots more fluids. A mutual friend at UPI asked me to give new photo back to Zina on hike. Is it true man land on the Moon, was it good Soviet?

Rustem - Why did you take a toy hedgehog and bear on the hike, were you photographed praying, and did you make use of your binoculars?
Lucky charms. I pray to the forest spirit for safe passage. I couldn't see much with binoculars, bad visibility, there was snow everywhere.

Semyon - Why did you leave your job before the hike, and what did you mean by making history, and what were you photographing at night?
I wanted to make fresh start. I make idle boast that it wouldn't be last they hear of me, and well, I was right, wasn't I. I photograph attack on den by <connection drops out>

I was intellectually intrigued to see if they made fuss over me like they did Yurka the day before. All I got was tangerine. What is cagey bee? Oh, translation error...KGB.  No, but then if I was I would say same thing. We keep hearing things from new arrivals, is it true Berlin Wall come down, that Russians can drive all way to England and back?

Lyuda - Why were you in such a bad mood, it's not as if anyone forced you to go on the hike, it has some suggest you were premenstrual?
No it was not that! I was fed up playing Cinderella to Zina Kolmogorova. It all about her and the Yuris, first Doroshenko, then Yudin. I said to Krivo be careful or he would be next. I was young girl on hike with 7 men and only attention I get is rude remarks. Nobody dance with me after Symphony In Gold.

Tibo - What was with the feather in the hat? You, Krivo and Semyon. You wore them on past hikes too.
It show we are like birds of feather, comrades, best friends. I had bonded well with Semyon, and of course me and Yuri we were double act, and still are, we entertain all the souls, he sings, I tell jokes.

Yuri K - Were you the yeti, what was frame 34 and were you happy to bury your mandolin in the snow?
Yes, it was me, get over it, a man has private wash in forest. Frame 34 was torch. Do you know any banned revolutionary songs? Have they found my mandolin, can someone arrange for it to be sent on to me?

Zina - Did you make yourself a late addition to the hike because you liked hiking with Igor or because you knew Yurka was there and hoped to get back with him? And why did you not know what month and year it was.
I hoped with new clothes and hairdo, that he could see what he was missing. Not listen to his mother. And he gave me his mittens! First he attack bear, then make sure I'm warm. It shows he is fighting his feelings. I was so in love with him I didn't know what planet we were on, I followed him to the ends of the Earth, and beyond. Is he somewhere here?

Yuri D - Regarding Zina, did you not know how to let a girl down easy?
It was difficult when she join this trip, and I could not back out and let Igor down. I try to be civil and when she attempt to give me Birthday kiss I make up stories of my playboy past hoping it put her off. I have changed my name and adopted disguise of old Russian poet, you must not let Zina know I am here.

I'm surprised you got that much. I am a Clairvoyant and I've been stuck for weeks.

April 19, 2021, 02:05:04 PM
Reply #17

marieuk

haha that's so funny, really made me laugh. Loving the tangerine. 

April 19, 2021, 02:54:57 PM
Reply #18

RMK

Haha! Well played, eurocentric.

April 19, 2021, 03:11:36 PM
Reply #19

Manti

What is cagey bee?
lol2 As an ESL speaker, this is so accurate! Facing such mysteries daily...

April 19, 2021, 03:16:09 PM
Reply #20

KFinn

That was fantastic, lol!  Thank you!!!!
-Ren

April 19, 2021, 11:24:13 PM
Reply #21

Paf

... What if it was just a name mistake ? There are 2 "Sasha" and the other one is born on Feb. 2...
the diary :

[...]
Today is the birthday of Sasha Kolevatov *. Congratulations. We give him a tangerine, which he immediately divided into 8 pieces (Lyuda went into the tent and did not come out until the end of the dinner). So another day of our trek went well.
A possible but bringing other problems interpretation :
Feb 2.

[...]
Today is the birthday of Sasha Solotaryov. Congratulations. We give him a tangerine, which he immediately divided into 8 pieces (Lyuda went into the tent and did not come out until the end of the dinner). So another day of our trek went well.

Feb 3 would have been their last day. And that was the day they were supposed to come back to their storage.
They were late, had to camp on the ridge : the choose to camp on the east side of the mountain because of winds, (and because thay had to pass on this side sooner or later anyways to reach Labaz).

The only things are, why nobody wrote anything in their diaries, beside in the "unknown" one ? Is that possible that no ski tracks were found further in the valley or on the Ortoten summit ? (but did they only looked for it...)

April 20, 2021, 01:12:08 AM
Reply #22

Paf

I would ask who's mandoline it is, maybe. Krivo writes :
"Rustik (Rustem Slobodin) is playing his mandolin", but officially it's krivo's... Did they have 2 and left one in a village for safekeeping ?

I would ask them not to talk about them-self on third personne.
It's written (25/01) : "We went to the cinema, leaving "home" Doroshenko and Kolevatov. " but it's supposed to be written by Kolevatov himself. Krivo does the same (26/01) : Sasha K. (Aleksander Kolevatov) and Krivo (Yuri Krivonischenko) slept on the floor between beds".
Come on guy ! As if it was not hard enough with at least 2 nickname each... (but maybe it's only from the translator : I feel like in the pictured document, Tibo's always called "kolya tibo" while in english translation, it is Nick/Kolya/Tibo/Thibeaux/Thibault. )

« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 04:05:42 PM by Paf »

April 21, 2021, 07:36:18 AM
Reply #23

WAB

Dear Jay ! .
These are the kinds of questions that are so obvious that they are not addressed in such studies because they are clear and obvious to those who have written about them.
If you have difficulty understanding these questions, I can answer them perfectly.
At the time, it was thought that every traveler of this level should have a compass. As practice has shown, this is an excessive requirement. Such requirement was clearly overstated and was not always enforced, for practical reasons.
For the whole group 2...3 pieces of compasses are required. Of course, it is possible to secure yourself additionally against accidents and take 4 pieces. But more is absolutely unnecessary. In my 60 years of such travels I have never had the need use more than 2 compasses in a group. More might be really necessary only if the group has split up for some reason, but that's an exceptional case.
No other is required for this level of travel, and they were very close to the same understanding.
In the criminal case and in the memories of the search participants nothing is said about compasses because it was obvious and everyone understood it exactly the same way. You don't talk all the time about having a spoon for lunch, do you?
They used, then very widespread compass by Andrianov topographer.

It had metal casing, and the gray end of the arrow (triangle) and some marks on the scale were covered with glow-in-the-dark composition, which included radioactive materials.
Such a compass was found on the hand of Semyon Zolotarev. Probably, Dyatlov and Krivonischenko had similar compass, as they were working with maps and making route map.

This question is resolved in exactly the same way as the question of compasses.
If you read all the available information about their lanterns, it turns out as follows:
- (A) Igor Dyatlov had a flashlight of the "Chinese" type

Exactly like the one in this picture.
- (B) Semyon Zolotarev had flashlight that he had since WWII, or similar one that he bought later. It was flashlight of the "square (or rather rectangular)" type:

You can see it on his clothes on this trip, for example:

It is highlighted here on purpose.
- (C) the protocols of the investigator said that flashlight of the "Bug" type was found in the tent.
It is flashlight that looks like this:

I just have apologize for its appearance - since it is very old, so it has broken and lost round safety glass and the nut that screws it to the lantern.
Its unofficial name came about because it has small electric generator inside, and when you periodically push the lever (according to the arrows) it generates electricity and makes buzzing sound like as bug. Such flashlight requires no batteries, which is very important in winter when it is freezing, when batteries lose their ability if not specially warmed.
- (D) another type of flashlight that they used (this is written about in the protocol of the labaz (warehouse)) was design that consisted only of battery, light bulb and two or three insulated wires.
The general diagram of such "unit" can be seen in this figure:

The wires are soldered to the battery and the bulb, but cut is made in the place marked with an "X". When such flashlight is stored before use, the wires are not even stripped of their insulation at the point of the cut, so as not to accidentally short-circuit the wires. When you need such flashlight to shine, the insulation of the wire near the "X" point is torn off (on small section!) and the 2 bare sections are twisted together. In terms of reliability, such design is very far ahead of other (including factory) designs, because there is minimum of simple contacts. Here they are all soldered, which is about 100 times more reliable than regular one - just as point contact. In a "regular" flashlight, there are at least 5 points of such contacts, but here there is one!
Such flashlights are still used today as emergency or special flashlights. When we went to our expedition to the pass in February 2014, I made imitation of such design based on modern parts and units to test the visibility of the light of similar flashlight in 1959.

Here it is not shown in full, but all elements of the circuit were present.
My main task was implement the same parameters of light, which should correspond to what was in the lanterns of Dyatlov's group. This was done check the range of detection of the light. The light bulb and battery capacity were calculated to be the same as in Igor Dyatlov's flashlight of "Chinese" type. Equivalence was ensured by current and voltage (in the product of the multipliers it is power), and also by the correspondence of the efficiency of the incandescent bulb.
Of course, Dyatlov's group probably had 1 or 2 more flashlights, but they were not mentioned or written about because they did not change anything in the analysis of the behavior and capabilities of the group. They were found, either in tent, or in labaz-camp (warehouse), or in the individual backpacks of one of the participants. Taking into account the stock, about 6...8 flashlights were needed for such a trip. I repeat: it is inclusive of stock, flashlights of type (D) and spare batteries in this case spare battery counts as one flashlight. With economical consumption and the right maintenance, that should be fine for trip like this.

April 24, 2021, 11:01:39 AM
Reply #24

Manti

... What if it was just a name mistake ? There are 2 "Sasha" and the other one is born on Feb. 2...
the diary :

[...]
Today is the birthday of Sasha Kolevatov *. Congratulations. We give him a tangerine, which he immediately divided into 8 pieces (Lyuda went into the tent and did not come out until the end of the dinner). So another day of our trek went well.
A possible but bringing other problems interpretation :
Feb 2.

[...]
Today is the birthday of Sasha Solotaryov. Congratulations. We give him a tangerine, which he immediately divided into 8 pieces (Lyuda went into the tent and did not come out until the end of the dinner). So another day of our trek went well.

Feb 3 would have been their last day. And that was the day they were supposed to come back to their storage.
They were late, had to camp on the ridge : the choose to camp on the east side of the mountain because of winds, (and because thay had to pass on this side sooner or later anyways to reach Labaz).

The only things are, why nobody wrote anything in their diaries, beside in the "unknown" one ? Is that possible that no ski tracks were found further in the valley or on the Ortoten summit ? (but did they only looked for it...)
Previously we wondered the same thing about the birthday: https://forum.dyatlovpass.com/index.php?topic=779.msg12114#msg12114

The idea there is that it was not a birthday but a "nameday", Alexander day was on that day.

But I think it's an interesting idea that they have been on their way back from Otorten, and needs to be explored more. I have a hard time imagining that ski tracks would be visible after one month. If they were on their way back, that helps explain some things like their apparently very slow trekking speed: they were further along their route than we think, and also that less food was found than would be required for such a trip (although this is something I just read on this forum).

The labaz was not marked very well, and maybe it was a snowstorm when they crossed the Dyatlov Pass, so it's possible they didn't see the features of the area at that time and looked in the wrong valley for the labaz on their way back?

April 24, 2021, 12:04:44 PM
Reply #25

Paf

I've been exploring a bit since.
Slobtov group seems to have been dropped for a short time at Otorten summit. They found a paper from another group, but no traces from Dyatlov's group.
Then, Akslerod, questionning this investigation, has been dropped with 4 others (including 2 radio) on one of the small summit of eastern Otorten ridge.
Akselrod went all along the treeline of this eastern ridge... But on the wrong side. (Dyatlov group could have been on this ridge, 100%, but he would have come from the southern side to more or less follow the ridge up to Otorten. Akselrod checked the northern treeline, where Dyatlov had absolutely no reasons to go. So the southern  edge was not checked. Akselrod checked the pass between each small summit of the ridge, but would ski have left marks in those pass if they were there ? ) and more than anything, they "by-passed" the southern corner.
If somebody who can read russian would like to help, please check on Akslerod testimony ! :)... In English, by-pass can mean going around, making a detour to, or skipping.
If they skip the southern corner, they skipped Dyatlov's most probable itinerary. They skipped the eventuality of a ridge-only go and back (and one witness say they could even have try it from dyatlov's pass within a day, and we know they had lots of hard time before in the forest).
At the top, they didn't find traces of the group : but they didn't mentioned Slobtov's group traces neither.  And they mention the weather was bad.

More : At 1PM, a plane dropped them a canister with a note that the tent had been found the previous day. If they went all along the forest edge, where were they when the plane caught them ? Would they be as focus on looking for track before and after ?

I think there are enough "not sure" to leave the question open. (plus : Slobtov testimony about the tent seems to be a bit under question, since the alcool flask was full for some, empty for others, and more. What if he found "evening Otorten" at the summit, per exemple, but lost it at the tent / gave it by mistake with some tent items / was told to shut of ? )

They might have been tricked by the wind on passing the wrong ridge (before the summit instead of after the summit), but they would have figure that out from the slop inclination. I don't think they went in the wood in search for Labaz.

April 24, 2021, 04:16:56 PM
Reply #26

RidgeWatcher

Professor WAB, You have been greatly missed. I have a question for you, if you have read Teddy’s book. Do you think it is a possibility that any of the Dyatlov Hikers may have been alive and actually found but then left to die because the Geologists/Blasters/Foresters/Helicopters pilots feared for their lives.

I ask this questions for many reasons but mostly because it would seem the hikers with the less severe injuries are the hikers with the injustices more consistent with actual hand to hand fighting.

April 24, 2021, 04:23:37 PM
Reply #27

mk

Dear Jay ! .
These are the kinds of questions that are so obvious that they are not addressed in such studies because they are clear and obvious to those who have written about them....
Thank you for going to all the trouble to explain these things & include pictures, WAB--it makes perfect sense when you explain it, of course.  And you've answered several questions that I've had, myself, about flashlights and such.

April 24, 2021, 04:26:51 PM
Reply #28

mk

My ouija board has recently interviewed them all. Thankfully one of the many wonders of the metaphysical was that it could translate English into Russian, and use cyrillic writing. It’ll take Google another 50 years to catch up...
That was BRILLIANT!!   lol2 clap1 bow7

May 03, 2021, 11:38:56 AM
Reply #29

WAB

Professor WAB, You have been greatly missed.

DearRidgeWatcher !
Thank you for this kind attitude.
However you have somewhat elevated me in a scientific rank. In my country I, unfortunately, did not have time to acquire such a title. I stopped at the previous one, when I left teaching at the university. Here it is called "associate professor" and is equivalent to what in the U.S. it is called assistant professor or lecturer. Germany has something similar to this. We have a complicated system of academic and university titles and degrees. Degrees have 2 levels: science Candidate (it corresponds to the PhD degree) and (Full) Doctor of Sciences (this is a very high qualification, when you need to defend a new direction in some science). Accordingly, in order to become a professor, it is necessary to have a degree of "our" Doctor of Sciences. In the science, which I was involved, in the USSR had a doctoral degree only 2 people. In our country the position of professor and the title of professor are two different concepts. Although I held such a position briefly, when we did a joint special course with MIT for the students of our two universities in the early 1990s.

I have a question for you, if you have read Teddy’s book.

No, I have not read the book, so I will not say anything about the book, but to individual questions, if you ask them yourself, I am ready to answer what I know. If we are talking about the events in Dyatlov's group in 1959 and further research on the subject.

Do you think it is a possibility that any of the Dyatlov Hikers may have been alive and actually found but then left to die because the Geologists/Blasters/Foresters/Helicopters pilots feared for their lives.

No, it is impossible if the period of their stay in nature is more than one day, after they escaped from the tent.
By the way, no foresters, pilots, geologists or anyone else found the tent before Slobtsov and Sharavin, and the first people (corpses) were found by Sharavin and Koptelov on February 27. This is nothing more than a fantastic legend, which is not real in fact, but logically. As soon as someone declares an "early find", immediately there are many questions, to which there is no answer, because it contradicts the conditions of the area, the laws of nature, the human capacity to do such, and so on. If you study this subject seriously, you have to get away from imaginary entities, because this is a path to nowhere. One such method is called "matryoshka-  матрешка in Russian" - there is such a children's toy or souvenir from Russia. This means that as soon as a statement is made, a new entity appears, on which a new statement appears to justify it, and so on to infinity... Most importantly, there is no material confirmation other than the words of the one who is talking about it. There are a lot of people who want to make up a non-existent sensation, especially when there are a lot of publications in the press and broadcasts on TV.

I ask this questions for many reasons but mostly because it would seem the hikers with the less severe injuries are the hikers with the injustices more consistent with actual hand to hand fighting.

No, that is excluded. Before talking about "hand-to-hand combat," one must clearly understand who and why it was necessary, as well as the extent to which it was possible in the very place and under the conditions that it was.
Usually such statements are made by people who have little or no familiarity with those conditions and the practice of the activity they are talking about.  The reason for this is the description of trauma, which everyone imagines is very varied. Even professional coroners try to transfer what they saw in the city to what was there, and because they have never dealt with the same cases, they say what they know, but not what was there. In the practice of such travels and similar searches, I have seen many traumas, so I see nothing surprising in what Dr. Boris Wozrozhdenny (Возрожденный - in Russian) wrote. The reason that no "fights" are possible there, I can easily show on this slope in winter to anyone who thinks it is possible. What kind of fights can there be when there is knee-deep snow around, and sometimes waist-deep?  And the temperature is so hot that it requires thick clothes... And then, if we proceed from the elementary logic, if someone has decided to commit a crime, he does not go to the North Pole (this is relative, but get to the pass is not much easier). He needs something closer, and something with which he is familiar. No one even thinks about how that someone should go there, skiing for a few days, and then return from there, since no foreign corpses were found there.