March 28, 2024, 03:30:49 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Refutation of any avalanche versions. The slope steepness does not matter.  (Read 2764 times)

March 26, 2021, 10:33:34 AM
Reply #1

Investigator

The evidence is inconsistent with anything other than the fear of an avalanche, which could have led one or more to try and get out of the tent quickly.  Then, when they realized there was no avalanche but the couldn't survive the night in a torn up tent, they secured the tent and tried to survive down at the tree line, which obviously was not successful.  I don't think this is likely but I don't think should be dismissed either, as the ideas that are entirely inconsistent with the evidence should be.

March 26, 2021, 08:10:40 PM
Reply #2

Manti

Well, my Russian is not good enough to understand much on that forum but it's interesting that there are photos apparently from 1959 posted there that I haven't seen on this site. If someone knows Russian I would be interested in a summary of what the refutation of any avalanche theories is.

Avalanche is most commonly triggered by an event, mostly people skiing / walking, or small earthquakes / tremors. I would think an avalanche while they are resting in the tent is the least likely... an avalanche (or a fault appearing) when one of them goes outside to relieve themselves.. more plausible...

March 27, 2021, 01:36:58 AM
Reply #3

Ziljoe

Well, my Russian is not good enough to understand much on that forum but it's interesting that there are photos apparently from 1959 posted there that I haven't seen on this site. If someone knows Russian I would be interested in a summary of what the refutation of any avalanche theories is.

Avalanche is most commonly triggered by an event, mostly people skiing / walking, or small earthquakes / tremors. I would think an avalanche while they are resting in the tent is the least likely... an avalanche (or a fault appearing) when one of them goes outside to relieve themselves.. more plausible...

Hi Manti

I'm not sure why people are having difficulty hitting a link and Google not automatically translating, anyway...

What Igor B is saying is the photo of the collapsed tent proves 100% that there was no avalanche. When avalanche happens in the weather conditions from humidity and then comes to extreme cold , it will freeze hard , you will need a pic axe or jackhammer to dig it out not your hands or the end of skis.Something to do with the build up of heat with friction within the snow causing it to melt then freeze.

However ,they do say the 200mm of snow that was found on the tent was firm. The searchers used the tools found at hand to clear the tent to look inside on the first day.(the pic axe that was found and the pair of skis that were standing at the entrance of the tent) . If it was an avalanche, they couldn't have used the skies to move the snow plus there was only 200mm. The wind could not have blown away some of the avalanche as the snow would be too dense. The wind couldnt even blow away the raised foot prints so how could it blow away the concrete snow after an avalanche.

He also refers to a radio gram specifically asking  for strong men and tools to the ravine . In the very location where the bodies were found, the snow was found to be hard and dense at that specific spot. This is an indicator of a snow collapse . The snow heats up , melts and freeze's.

So the logic is that the photo of searchers standing round the tent shows that the snow was not that hard. They have skis sticking in the ground all around the tent. The snow was consistent with what was covering the rest of the slope. So no avalanche......