March 29, 2024, 07:36:40 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Group dynamics during incidents, disperse or stay together?  (Read 2940 times)

March 26, 2021, 10:10:12 PM
Read 2940 times

Manti

Isn't it generally true that what tends to happen during incidents in remote areas, is that some are more injured than others, some are more fit, less exhausted, better nourished, healthier... and so some have more energy and survive, or at least survive longer?

Even in the incidents that are probably most similar to the DPI, there is a survivor (Buryatia incident), or someone who made it quite far (Chivruay pass incident).

Isn't this the natural human reaction? To try to get as far from danger as possible, if that danger is remoteness and cold, to try to get back to civilisation? Isn't it unusual that all the Dyatlov group perished so close to each other? If the cause of their death is just hypothermia, some might survive at least hours longer than others, simply due to having more clothes and/or more body fat. Wouldn't that mean they would be found miles away? Looking for the labaz that has supplies is another good reason for some to be found further away... But they all stayed together.

I'm beginning to think there are only two possible explanations for staying together:
  • Common event that would cause their death at the same or similar time, not simply hypothermia
  • A staged scene
Is these another plausible explanation for why someone didn't try to for example reach the labaz or a Mansi yurt?

March 26, 2021, 10:12:57 PM
Reply #1

Manti

*I'm using yurt in the Russian sense, they seem to call the Mansi settlements a "yurt" even though these are wooden houses.

March 27, 2021, 07:43:33 AM
Reply #2

marieuk

Maybe they were scared to go too far or were in hiding for a long time and no longer had the energy to go far. Or maybe they just thought it would be better to stick together.  Good question though and I think both of your options are a possibility.

March 27, 2021, 09:28:34 AM
Reply #3

KFinn

Isn't it generally true that what tends to happen during incidents in remote areas, is that some are more injured than others, some are more fit, less exhausted, better nourished, healthier... and so some have more energy and survive, or at least survive longer?

Even in the incidents that are probably most similar to the DPI, there is a survivor (Buryatia incident), or someone who made it quite far (Chivruay pass incident).

Isn't this the natural human reaction? To try to get as far from danger as possible, if that danger is remoteness and cold, to try to get back to civilisation? Isn't it unusual that all the Dyatlov group perished so close to each other? If the cause of their death is just hypothermia, some might survive at least hours longer than others, simply due to having more clothes and/or more body fat. Wouldn't that mean they would be found miles away? Looking for the labaz that has supplies is another good reason for some to be found further away... But they all stayed together.

I'm beginning to think there are only two possible explanations for staying together:
  • Common event that would cause their death at the same or similar time, not simply hypothermia
  • A staged scene
Is these another plausible explanation for why someone didn't try to for example reach the labaz or a Mansi yurt?

For Soviet Russia, I think things run a little beyond normal human behavior.  During this era in the Soviet Union, sports were viewed as a responsibility.   The biathlon had become an Olympic sport in 1958, which was comprised of skiing and shooting.  The Soviets treated sports like this as a way of promoting a mythologized, romanticized nod to Russian perseverance during the Great Patriotic War.  Skiing especially, seemed to be a way of showing your patriotism, Soviet might and was viewed as a unifying, "all for your comrades!" sport.  It was also a way of encouraging collectivism in the sense that the group had to work together for the greater good.  So in a way, it kind of promoted that good comrades would sacrifice themselves for the success of the group but if everyone pulled their weight and made the right decisions, then the group all succeeded.  There is some really interesting literature on this phenomenon.  The one I'm finding the most provocative is "Everyone to Skiis; Skiing in Russia and the Soviet Biathlon, by William D. Frank.  Now, that is not to say that things don't fall a part during traumatic events. 

Also, if we take into account the autopsy reports, I believe the autopsies all concluded that the group all died close to the same time.

That said...there are certain characteristics that human tend to show during certain events.  I think Investigator mentioned David Paulides work on Missing Person Behaviors (I think it was Investigator...)  Paulides and another academic have studied behaviors of people who go missing, in order to help search and rescue teams find them more quickly.  I've wanted to do a search and rescue simulation for the Dyatlov incident for a while now but haven't had the chance yet.  That could give us insight on whether they followed typical patterns we see or deviated from the norm; an indication of whether the cultural differences from Soviet life impacted decisions or not.  If not, then we can conclude that they followed normal behaviors and we could glean more insight onto the events that happened; whether they worked together or whether there seemed to be outside interference, etc.

You have great insights!  You are really making me look at things with fresh eyes. 
-Ren

March 27, 2021, 09:31:34 AM
Reply #4

tenne

I find it surprising that they were as separated as they were. The first order of business, IMO, would be to survive the night. So once the fire was going, everyone would work together to get fire wood to keep it going, pile snow up around branches to stop the wind and huddle together in a group to conserve body heat. Then come morning and light, re-evaluate the situation, what I would do is get a few people very warmly dressed for the walk back to the tent while the lighter dressed stay huddled around the fire.

To have separated into 3 groups isn't the norm in a group experienced like that. Even the ex-soldier would know its far safer to stay together and share the work and body heat.

IMO, the only reason they were in 3 groups was the scene was staged

March 27, 2021, 05:42:13 PM
Reply #5

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient

• A staged scene

No 2 cases are alike as the criminal lawyers would say. So it is with the Dyatlov Case. They left their Tent in a hurry without getting properly dressed or gathering their equipment and went downhill towards the Forest. Something awful must have made them do that.
DB

The following users thanked this post: ilahiyol