March 29, 2024, 03:36:36 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Smoke Is The Answer  (Read 3575 times)

April 04, 2021, 08:57:02 AM
Read 3575 times

MDGross

Not smoke from the stove. But smoke as in cigarette smoke or the lack thereof. Zina wrote in the group diary on Jan. 23: "The boys solemnly swore not to smoke the entire trip. I wonder how much will power they have to get by without cigarettes?" Nicotine withdrawal is serious business: anxiety, depression, irritability, clouded thinking. Maybe the guys argued and fought on the night of Feb. 1 with tragic results. I grant you this is a crazy idea and should be thrown on the large stack of other crazy ideas. But my point is maybe what caused the tragedy was deceptively simple, but true to human nature – a jealous fight over the girls; a sound mistaken for the sound of an avalanche; dissatisfaction over Igor's decision making; cries for help as someone starts to roll down the ridge from the strong wind. That's not to say that the cause wasn't from a more complex and dramatic event: an exploding missile; a ferocious lightning storm; retribution from the KGB and so on. Any one of these scenarios and others equally dramatic could be the cause. But simple causes shouldn't be overlooked. Maybe Occam's Razor makes sense after all.

April 04, 2021, 09:00:25 AM
Reply #1

Dona

Well, anything is possible.. That's the problem  dunno1

April 04, 2021, 10:12:32 AM
Reply #2

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
Add a little ergot poisoning in the mix from those small village rye rusks and you have a theory. 
All theories are flawed....... Get Behind Me Satan !!!

April 04, 2021, 10:15:08 AM
Reply #3

Dona

Or your theory.. " Attack of the Killer  Rocks"..  lol2

April 04, 2021, 10:55:33 AM
Reply #4

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
Or your theory.. " Attack of the Killer  Rocks"..  lol2

🙄🙄
All theories are flawed....... Get Behind Me Satan !!!

April 04, 2021, 11:47:12 AM
Reply #5

MDGross

Your theory of poisoning by rye bread is plausible. In times past, entire villages would be made ill by tainted rye bread. It's a simple, uncomplicated and believable scenario.

April 04, 2021, 12:16:04 PM
Reply #6

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient
Not smoke from the stove. But smoke as in cigarette smoke or the lack thereof. Zina wrote in the group diary on Jan. 23: "The boys solemnly swore not to smoke the entire trip. I wonder how much will power they have to get by without cigarettes?" Nicotine withdrawal is serious business: anxiety, depression, irritability, clouded thinking. Maybe the guys argued and fought on the night of Feb. 1 with tragic results. I grant you this is a crazy idea and should be thrown on the large stack of other crazy ideas. But my point is maybe what caused the tragedy was deceptively simple, but true to human nature – a jealous fight over the girls; a sound mistaken for the sound of an avalanche; dissatisfaction over Igor's decision making; cries for help as someone starts to roll down the ridge from the strong wind. That's not to say that the cause wasn't from a more complex and dramatic event: an exploding missile; a ferocious lightning storm; retribution from the KGB and so on. Any one of these scenarios and others equally dramatic could be the cause. But simple causes shouldn't be overlooked. Maybe Occam's Razor makes sense after all.

Nothing simple about the very unusual injuries to some of the Dyatlov Group. And do you really think that anxiety would cause all the Dyatlov Group to abandon their Tent and risk death by walking a mile or so without proper protection ! ?
DB

April 04, 2021, 01:32:28 PM
Reply #7

Investigator

There is no evidence they acted in an "irrational" way, other than perhaps Zina getting fed up with Igor's decisions after the two Yuris died and deciding to go back to the tent, which was probably not a way to survive the night (that might be chalked up to anger).  There is a big difference between unwise and irrational, though investigators may have difficulty telling the difference as they examine evidence.

April 04, 2021, 02:32:38 PM
Reply #8

Manti

Were packs of cigarettes, lighters etc found? Or did they not even bring any?
There is no evidence they acted in an "irrational" way, other than perhaps Zina getting fed up with Igor's decisions after the two Yuris died and deciding to go back to the tent, which was probably not a way to survive the night (that might be chalked up to anger).  There is a big difference between unwise and irrational, though investigators may have difficulty telling the difference as they examine evidence.

If we assume cutting the tent and leaving without being properly dressed was a rational course of action, we have to assume a life-threatening situation at the tent, correct?

And we know some "facts", for example that it was very cold, and that hypothermia causes hallucinations even in cases in which it doesn't kill. 9 people all having the same degree of hypothermia or even then, the same hallucinations is unlikely though... But I don't think some of them doing irrational things is that outlandish.

April 04, 2021, 05:32:03 PM
Reply #9

Investigator

Were packs of cigarettes, lighters etc found? Or did they not even bring any?

If we assume cutting the tent and leaving without being properly dressed was a rational course of action, we have to assume a life-threatening situation at the tent, correct?

And we know some "facts", for example that it was very cold, and that hypothermia causes hallucinations even in cases in which it doesn't kill. 9 people all having the same degree of hypothermia or even then, the same hallucinations is unlikely though... But I don't think some of them doing irrational things is that outlandish.

I initially thought a fight might be why the tent was cut, but because they did a good job of securing it, made their way down to the trees and started a fire (and either dug the "den" right away as a backup plan or after they realized the fire wasn't going to work), the one best conclusion would seem to be that  the first bad decision (but still not irrational) was to pitch a tent where they did and not have heat (which can prevent heavy snow/ice buildup on the tent exterior), because they displayed good teamwork after the tent was cut/torn (other than perhaps Zina deciding to go back to the tent out of anger, if that's what happened).  Sure, just about anything is possible, but the evidence in this case is quite clearly pointing in one direction, and only recreations might give us more clarity on why other decisions were made.