December 03, 2021, 02:25:20 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Thoughts on the book  (Read 18961 times)

June 18, 2021, 08:37:54 AM
Reply #240

Manti

Some more thoughts on the book...

The Dyatlov Pass Incident is interesting because it's a mystery: several things seem hard to explain. Of course what these things are differ somewhat for everyone...

There are so many of such mysterious details, let me just focus on one: how did the hikers die? With the tent on the slope, it's really hard to explain the injuries of Lyuda, Thibo and Semyon. So the book does a great job demystifying this. A falling tree causing these injuries is plausible.

But then the reader finishes the book and some questions in are still unanswered in their head. To stay with the same question: how did the rest of the hikers die?

Here are purely my thoughts of how I would think:

Several of my friends are stuck under a tree. Thibo is probably unconscious but still has a pulse. The others might have been conscious. We need to free them! Let's try lifting the tree. Let's assume it's not successful, the tree is too heavy.

At this point the rest of us are getting a bit cold. All of our clothes and boots are in the tent, just put these on. It only takes half a minute.
Then continue trying to save those under the tree perhaps by trying to saw the trunk into smaller pieces. After all they had a saw. Perhaps send two or three to start a fire, as 2 are enough to operate the saw. When the fire is ready, we swap, they continue the sawing and we warm up by the fire. Perhaps even this fails, the tree is too thick.

Those stuck under the tree no longer show signs of life.

At this point, there are 5 very shocked, but otherwise healthy and fit hikers with only superficial injuries, a fire, warm clothes, a stove that by all accounts wasn't damaged, enough food for a week... I don't see any reason why they would die.

Their tent is perhaps stuck under a tree, what I would try is cut it in half and try to repair that half, then try to make it back to Vizhay. But even without a tent, they had hope. They passed a Mansi hut next to Auspiya which could be used for an overnight stay in this emergency. They passed caves where they could shelter and at 2nd Northern there is a usable house.

So I would like if the book expanded on this more. Perhaps even an additional chapter about what happened in the hours after the tree fell? Why did those only lightly injured not even put on boots and their coat?

(As I understand, the conspirators never found Dyatlov's body, and he was without a coat and boots.)

August 10, 2021, 05:05:00 AM
Reply #241

Ziljoe

The book is like an 8 course meal with all the steak , ice cream , beans, cake and caviar thrown on a single plate to be accompanied by fortified wine .

There's one hell of a lot going on here. It is going to take time chewing this lot. I can see why there has been some negative comments because it does seem to jump about in some places.

However, this is the nature of the Dyatlovpass and the more I invest in reading it , the more interesting I'm finding it. This can not of been easy to put together so I totally respect that. I don't even know how you could of ascertained some of the information.

I don't actually think there would be an easier way to put such complex information together. I understand that some people would maybe like things explained easier but i agree that it's best suited to Dyatlov devotees.

There are some leaps of faith in what I've read so far and I'm sure I'll have some questions but I'll read it a couple of times (or more ) to make sure I understand the facts being presented.

Some ireally nteresting new links and explanations for sure . Good job to you and Igor and I don't know where you get the time from. 

All the best.

August 11, 2021, 07:11:00 AM
Reply #242

Teddy

Administrator
Thank you for reading the book. I never said it's going to be easy. It reads like a thesis.
This is the work of Igor Pavlov's lifetime. It took him 10 years to figure it out.
In the last year I felt some eagerness to publish the book, and I was none the wiser. I am still fixing and uploading issues but overwhelmed with deep relief that I published it while he was alive to see it.

August 11, 2021, 08:20:02 AM
Reply #243

Ziljoe

Thank you for publishing it . It covers a lot about all the anomalies in communication at the time and gives credence to a lot of the reports/statements that have remained as just hearsay.

August 22, 2021, 02:41:15 PM
Reply #244

thealexhiggins

I certainly wouldn't bury supplies there, the marker would get blown away and you'd never find them again.

That is a very valid point to make.