April 19, 2024, 07:40:03 PM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
General Discussion / Re: Wonder If...
« Last post by Ziljoe on April 08, 2024, 01:27:40 PM »
In the first instance

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27400253/

This is not the ideal example but it happens. ( I'm sure I have more some where. )

Rustem injury Is not reported as a depressed fracture . That suggests that it's not a hard blow, plus there's no reported swelling. This raises questions as to what type of impact caused it. I'm not sure if it's a cranial fracture, I think this is where the skull joins when we grow. I am not an expert but this may be an explanation as well as falling and/ or receiving a blow. Rustem was reported to have ice under the body which suggests that he was alive where he fell.
« Last post by gunmat on April 08, 2024, 01:25:46 PM »
good
« Last post by Ziljoe on April 08, 2024, 01:03:28 PM »
I did post the links before. Somewhere .....I'll have a look later. There's also academic people that speculate on the injuries but don't use Dyatlov pass sites or enter forums.
« Last post by gunmat on April 08, 2024, 12:54:08 PM »
Do you have a reference on this, so post the link please.
« Last post by Ziljoe on April 08, 2024, 12:46:54 PM »
Rustem Slobodin had a 60 mm x 1 mm fracture. There is a possibility that it is a fracture caused by the freezing of the brain fluids. This has been clinically evidenced in other deaths in similar conditions although it seems to be the internal base of the skull.

However , some have put forward that Rustem was wearing a hat and his neck was exposed, the neck would freeze first , then the expansion of  fluids could possibly cause the skull to fracture.

This is relatively new findings and there are  few examples but that's due to resources and the small number of victims. At the time of the autopsy in 1959 , they can only suggest falling on a stone.
« Last post by gunmat on April 08, 2024, 11:34:02 AM »
A good thought. I agree that the injuries could worsen after lying under 3.5 meters of wet snow before being found. The only problem is that one with severe head injuries, Rustem Slobodin, was found between Kolmogorova and Dyatlov on the way to the tent.
« Last post by Ziljoe on April 08, 2024, 10:56:20 AM »
Without other evidence coming forward , it would seem the most likely scenario. Obviously we have the issue of the slope not being steep enough for a full avalanche but like you say and it's been said before, all they needed was to think there was going to be a avalanche.

We know now that there are natural occuring avalanche's 700 meters away from the tent on 1079.  They hikers may not Have known exactly where they pitched their tent due to the maps at the time and low visibility at the time of erecting the tent.

We can assume there was fresh snow be ause of the footprints. This snow wasn't the hard snow that we see in the videos where footprints aren't left behind. It is the same when the searcher's arrive. It's hard crisp snow.

To stage footprints after the event raises a few questions? Why bother , there would be no need to stage them . I can't see why they would do it as it could lead to evidence that their was stagers.

If there was outsiders involved , I could only guess that they were for ed out of the tent and there was no following the hikers to the ravine.

General Discussion / Wonder If...
« Last post by MDGross on April 08, 2024, 10:16:04 AM »
Wonder if there’s no mystery at all. The hikers thought, and I emphasize thought, an avalanche was happening. Who wouldn’t be a bit paranoid? Stiff wind, blowing snow, nighttime – and inside a tent on a mountain slope. The hikers got out of the tent as quickly as possible, most of them with no coat, shoes, hat or gloves. Head for the forest and build a fire large enough to stay warm until morning. But that doesn’t work. So…they split into two groups (Yuri K. and Yuri D. are unable to walk). While one group of three starts back for the tent to retrieve warm clothes, the other four build a snow den. The three climbing the slope freeze to death. The other four had no way of knowing that part of their snow den was built over a tributary of a river. That part collapses and the four plunge onto rocks in the tributary, with two breaking ribs and a third fracturing his skull. As the weeks pass, their bodies are covered in many feet of snow. The weight of the snow exacerbates their injuries, breaking additional ribs and widening the skull fracture. Nine hikers fled the tent and nine hikers died from hypothermia or a sudden fall into a ravine and subsequent hypothermia or perhaps from the severity of their injuries. 

Wonder if…
General Discussion / Re: What Semyon was Holding
« Last post by eurocentric on April 08, 2024, 10:15:21 AM »
In this photo Semyon appears to be wearing a wrist compass on the left arm.

Vintage Soviet wrist compass:

These all seem to have thin leather straps, and maybe the strap snapped and so at autopsy the compass appears to be across the hand? Or, as you suggest, it's a mistranslation.

I studied the photo's of Semyon's hand and IMHO I think what is taken as a small pen, like a bookie's pen, is in fact the natural crease of his palm. That and the gesture of his hand gives the impression he is making notes. And it's hard to see how a paper notepad could survive months of ravine meltwater.

General Discussion / Re: AVANLANCHE THEORY
« Last post by eurocentric on April 08, 2024, 09:51:24 AM »
I voted Very Unlikely.

And I would never stand on one.  grin1
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]