May 13, 2024, 03:32:46 PM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Is there evidence for outsiders?  (Read 1089 times)

April 18, 2024, 03:39:53 PM
Read 1089 times

Ziljoe

In the nature of fair and equal debate.

Where is the evidence for outsiders?. Physical evidence of outsiders at the location and / or documentation or statements of outsiders?.

Please let's gather the evidence as a community.

The following users thanked this post: GlennM, Arjan

April 19, 2024, 11:20:16 AM
Reply #1

Arjan

Personally I don't rely on the photos (made from the films found by the two search parties) as sound evidence for events during the tour.
Several of these photos pose more questions than answers.

If I am not mistaken, on loose photo no 6. a long ski - around 2 meters long - is visible.

As far as I am aware, only Yuri Yudin had used this long size of skis.

I am aware that at least several documents state that Yuri Yudin had left the tour at 2nd settlement.

My point is:
- How is is possible that one long ski is visible on this photo, while Yuri Yudin had already left the tour?
- Had Yuri Yudin stayed the fatal night for 7 group members together with Zinaida and Rustem in the re-erected tent on one ski pole and left the next morning to alert the authorities? Three persons lying together under several blankets in the tent had easily survived that night, and Yuri Yudin had well been able to return to 2nd settlement the next morning.

This photo is of course no sound proof, that he - or another person - had stayed longer on the tour than several documents state.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 11:27:45 AM by Arjan »

April 20, 2024, 04:03:41 AM
Reply #2

Teddy

Administrator

As far as I am aware, only Yuri Yudin had used this long size of skis.

Can you point to the source of this knowledge, that Yuri Yudin's skis were any different from everybody's else's size wise?

Also they were bringing one spare pair that  belonged to the UPI, how do you know their size?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 04:10:21 AM by Teddy »

The following users thanked this post: GlennM

April 20, 2024, 07:56:38 AM
Reply #3

Arjan

A quick provisional answer:

Film no 3 as available on the website Dyatlov Pass. com

3_01: District 41. Jan 27. Preparing to take off. Dyatlov, Slobodin, and Yudin. Photo possibly taken by Kolmogorova. It is possible that Krivonischenko got into the frame: in the lower left corner against the background of backpacks, a left hand with a mitten and a knife are visible.

The skis near Yuri Yudin - very probably his skis - are quite longer than Yuri himself.

I remember having read that Yuri Yudin had very long skis: I will try to find the source.

April 23, 2024, 12:23:53 AM
Reply #4

Ziljoe

I have a vague memory of reading something about longer skis , I can't remember where I read it , also one of the group preferred to ski in felt boots I think.

May 12, 2024, 11:58:54 AM
Reply #5

Arjan

A few weeks ago, I have promised to come back on my search where I may have read that Yuri Yudin had used very long skis.

I have found no other kind of confirmation in the books that I have about this case.

Scanning my memory, I have two other possible sources:
1. interviews available on 'www.dyatlovpass.dom'
2. two facebook groups

Ad 1. for me it is not feasible to go through all entries - available via the search and keyword 'skis' - on dyatlovpass.com
Ad 2. I have left both facebook groups.

The result is: the photo above - showing Yuri Yudin - standing before long skis is my only source (with limited reliability) at this moment, that is available to me.

The following users thanked this post: RMK

May 12, 2024, 12:27:36 PM
Reply #6

Arjan

No evidence, but a physical obvious option/possibility.

In case the tent was on the place where it had been found by the first search party, this provides the next option.

In case if two or more group members had stayed in the re-erected tent on one ski-pole (as visible on the photo's made by the first search party),
than under normal weather conditions, one or two group members could easily return to '2nd settlement and Vizhay' and or to the 'Mansi settlement' nearby without leaving hardly any traces in the snow.

This option leaves room for:
1. Yuri Yudin leaving the group from the tent site
2. Semyon leaving the group, while a local 'guide' might be found in the ravine by the second search party
3. An unknown group member had left the tent site - to look for help - and she/he might have survived.

Ad 3. I have always been curious about this photo as mentioned at Dyatlovpass-com.

With a low certainty (less than 10 %), she might have been a 10th group member at the tent site.

Personally, I don't dispose this kind of options on beforehand, because I try to solve the case.
In this case the devil is in the details.

May 12, 2024, 09:07:12 PM
Reply #7

WinterLeia

I’m not understanding. You say you don’t rely on photos made from the films found by the search party. So, are you saying you think they doctored the film? Or are you saying they removed pictures that were incriminating, like they had Yuri Yudin in them, but didn’t think about the skis?

The second conclusion is possible, although I find it a bit of a stretch. But I’m very skeptical of the first one. These are old photographs, and they didn’t have all the digital equipment we have today. It would have been very hard to doctor a photo in a way that couldn’t be detected. It had nothing to do with resources or time or money. It was just that the technology was not advanced enough. Yes, Hollywood did it. But they didn’t have to hide what they were doing. And that’s where the problem lies.

May 12, 2024, 09:37:26 PM
Reply #8

WinterLeia

I don’t really like to introduce rabbit holes into a discussion. But in the spirit of an open mind I will say that the Unknown Diary has always bothered me. I can’t shake the feeling that it sounds like it was written by a female, even though I know it wasn’t written by Zina or Luda. But I’ve wondered if someone else thought the same thing and that’s why it was labeled as Zina’s diary. And, I mean, it just has an odd feeling to it all around, like it doesn’t jive with the others. But it’s just a feeling. There’s too many violations of Occam’s Razor for me to put too much stock into that without further proof. It’s the most interesting diary to read, though, in my opinion. Whoever it was had a very unique perspective and way of describing things. I wish they had written more entries.

Today at 06:30:04 AM
Reply #9

Arjan

Dear Winterleia, and all other members.

My local photographer - now around 65 years old - says that he can do exactly the same with old style analogue photo's in the dark room, as photoshop allows.
It will take him far more time and effort.

After screening many prints from the films found by the first search party using:
- https://29a.ch/photo-forensics/#forensic-magnifier
I have come to the conclusion that 'I have to take into account that the prints have been composed at a later moment'

I will show the analysis of two photos (available at dyatlovpass.com )

The photo above, shows Yuri Yudin on a place outside the tour.
The magnification of the change between 'the coat, trousers, and background' is visible in the rectangle: it appears sound and sharp.

The photo above is one of the film found by the first search party.
The changes from jack and background is blurred by a gray line of 3 picksels wide; as far as I know on all photos these changes are 3-4 pics white or gray.

This surrounding of objects is user for:
- highlighting objects from the background or
- camouflaging that object have been added.

When all or nearly all objects are blurred by a grey/white line around, the suspicion arises, that the photos are mere composition from other source material.

A few Russian bloggers are far more outspoken about the value of photo for evidence to solve the case.
I will not share these links, because my browser indicates that these links are not safe nowadays due to expired SSH-key.

Today at 06:57:54 AM
Reply #10

WinterLeia

Yes, that does make it possible that the photos could have been doctored. But you can’t take a picture that doesn’t show any evidence of being doctored and prove it was doctored. The only way it could be proven is to authenticate the film itself, the negatives or whatever they’re called, and I don’t know if that’s ever been done or if the rolls of film are even still available.
« Last Edit: Today at 07:28:22 AM by WinterLeia »

Today at 07:08:29 AM
Reply #11

Ziljoe

Hi Arjan....

I too have been looking for the comment about long ski's. It is somewhere and that one of the group preferred not to use ski boots. Not that I think it would add much.

I think there's a problem with copying or over analysing the photos from the internet. Many photos have already been enhanced, not to cover things up but to try and tidy the images.

I have seen some of the sites you mention , they relate to the length of things with perspective of trees , bushes and skis etc .
Some put interesting arguments forward at times.

It would be good to source something though.

Today at 07:25:42 AM
Reply #12

Ziljoe

I don’t really like to introduce rabbit holes into a discussion. But in the spirit of an open mind I will say that the Unknown Diary has always bothered me. I can’t shake the feeling that it sounds like it was written by a female, even though I know it wasn’t written by Zina or Luda. But I’ve wondered if someone else thought the same thing and that’s why it was labeled as Zina’s diary. And, I mean, it just has an odd feeling to it all around, like it doesn’t jive with the others. But it’s just a feeling. There’s too many violations of Occam’s Razor for me to put too much stock into that without further proof. It’s the most interesting diary to read, though, in my opinion. Whoever it was had a very unique perspective and way of describing things. I wish they had written more entries.

Hi winterleia.

I had another read of it. It is strange that there are so few entries. When I use the Russian translation and then translate on my device I get slightly different results.

It would seem they were slightly lost on the 30th of January, the Mansi paths and signs were confusing to them. When I say lost, I mean lost within the trees and the internal trails created by Mansi. This I would say fits with some of the photos, especially the one with Zolotaryov, Doroshenko and Dyatlov. I think this is a photo taken with humour and ties in with the diary. They are obviously in the forest, probably followed the wrong trail and Dyatlov is trying to find the best direction.

This diary also mentions the state of the tent holes which seem excessive.

Today at 07:45:26 AM
Reply #13

Teddy

Administrator
I have always been curious about this photo as mentioned at Dyatlovpass-com.

https://dyatlovpass.com/loose-photos

There is nothing mysterious about this photo. Koskin is a bigger enigma if you ask me. Abandoning the case for 10 years and coming back. He never said why and when asked questions during these 10 years (including about this photo, why did he listed it as belonging to the Dyatlov group), he always said that he doesn't want anything to do with the case. And now he wants to fill Kuntsevich's shoes.
The girl is Lyudmila Kotelnikova. You can see her with Doroshenko as a leader in 1957 Middle Ural trek.

She was in a meeting just this last Wednesday, May 8, and here is a post the Russian social media (VK.com)

An amazing meeting took place on May 8 at the Museum of History of Yekaterinburg. One of the spectators, sitting modestly in the hall, personally knew well and was friends with all the hikers from Dyatlov’s group!!! As Lyudmila Petrovna Molchalina (Kotelnikova) said, she started studying in the radio faculty of UPI in 1955. She was interested in hiking her whole life and joined the sport tourism club at the university. She knew in person all the members from the Dyatlov group, and went on hikes with Yuri Doroshenko, Lyuda Dubinina, and Yuri Yudin. After the performance (at the meeting on May 8, 2024), she talked for a long time about the guys from the Dyatlov group. The young audience had just read the group’s diaries and now they were talking to a person who remembers all the authors of these diaries. Such a connection between generations, unexpected, but very real! Below is a photo of Lyudmila Petrovna and a list of participants in the trek to the Urals under the leadership of Yuri Doroshenko, what a great meeting!

« Last Edit: Today at 09:31:27 AM by Teddy »

Today at 07:52:35 AM
Reply #14

Teddy

Administrator
About the Unknown diary my personal opinion is that Zolotaryov wrote it because only he could confuse Doroshenko with Kolevatov.