April 16, 2024, 08:30:14 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
General Discussion / Re: The Last Leg
« Last post by GlennM on April 04, 2024, 11:06:09 AM »
Gunmat, yes it is peculiar. As I think about it, I imagine a situation where the group is fully equipped. They look ahead to Ortoten and decide between speed and comfort. They choose speed by caching suupplies. This works to their advantage because when they start out again, the weather is umfavorable. They make as much progress as possible and decide to make an early camp, likely to wait out the weather. Perhaps, instead of improving, the weather continued to deteriorate to the point where the tent itself became compromised. A damaged tent is no help and going back to the cache means staying on the high ground. It would be prudent to put the wind to your back and use it to push you and your team down slope into the woods where a fire and temporary shelter will keep you alive until things get better. They did not get better soon enough.
General Discussion / Re: The Last Leg
« Last post by gunmat on April 04, 2024, 10:26:00 AM »
I insist that the final leg until where the tent was found is remarkably short, compared to the distances they covered in the days prior. Particularly noteworthy is the second-to-last leg, where they nearly reached the ridge before turning around and descending 2-300 meters to set up camp. The last leg is 1.7-2 km long, with an average incline of 14.5 degrees and a maximum incline of 27 degrees. The steepest part is where they went the day before and decided to seek shelter further down the slope. No, I find this peculiar.

General Discussion / Re: Walking sticks
« Last post by Ziljoe on April 04, 2024, 10:15:37 AM »
It says in the autopsy report.

Blue cotton sports pants with two internal pockets, the buckles on the hips are unbuttoned. In the right pocket is a brown comb with two broken teeth.

What we see in the picture is the right hand side pocket( possibly turned inside out ) . It is the comb with two broken teeth , not a hose cilinder. The report is factual. We can also see the unbuttoned buckles on the hips.

Link to the clearer picture.
https://dyatlovpass.com/zinaida-kolmogorova
General Discussion / Re: Avalanche theory
« Last post by gunmat on April 04, 2024, 10:01:22 AM »
"The tent of Dyatlov and his friends was not hit by an avalanche. A finely-tuned data model would provide even more precise information from the scene. Up until now, people are arguing without having a clear picture of this terrain, as if words alone are sufficient to progress in the investigation. Avalanche deposits do not disappear within a couple of weeks. Next, I want to draw attention to the short distance the group traveled on February 1, 1959. It's very peculiar that this hasn't attracted more attention."
General Discussion / Re: What Semyon was Holding
« Last post by WinterLeia on April 04, 2024, 09:29:13 AM »
I’m not a medical expert, but I would have had thought an autopsy report would use much more specific language and not say the compass was in his left hand if it was on his wrist. But maybe that’s just how it is translated in English.
UFO / Re: Ivanov’s Fireballs: A Cover-Up or Part of One
« Last post by WinterLeia on April 04, 2024, 09:22:41 AM »
Personally, I consider Roswell to be an urban myth, because the eyewitnesses of the event it’s supposed to be about wouldn’t recognize the story as it exists today. It’s a collection of at least two separate events mixed with various myths and legends whose dissemination was greatly facilitated by the hit TV show Unsolved Mysteries back in the 1980s when it still had its most legendary host, the incomparable Robert Stack, who had no trouble with his sinister trench coat wearing presence, selling the creepy story of alien corpses being smuggled into some top secret military facility known as Area 51. It’s basically what you get when you have an alien story packaged for public consumption to be sold on a commercial market. And it’s not going to go anywhere because it’s still making the entertainment industry plenty of money, not to mention the city of Roswell itself. There might be some kernels of truth at the heart of the story, but they could never hope to compete with the Hollywood version. So I highly doubt anyone would spend much time researching them.
General Discussion / Re: What Semyon was Holding
« Last post by Teddy on April 04, 2024, 09:10:24 AM »
Zolotaryov wasn't holding anything. The only person claiming that Zolotaryov was holding a notepad which Ortyukov allegedly took from his hand and cursed that the pages were blank is Askinadzi. No one else saw the notepad. Askinadzi in his latest interview with me confirmed that he didn't see the notepad in Zolotaryov's hand, only presumed that Ortyukov took it from his hand. The pen in the other hand is web embellishment. So Askinadzi saw Ortyukov looking at an empty notepad but where did it come from he can't say. Could have been in a pocket.

On the other hand, which is more interesting to me, is that Askinadzi doesn't remember any camera on Zolotaryov's neck. Askinadzi said that if a notepad caused such an excitement then a camera would have been a sensation, but no one saw a camera. That came later while we were looking at the post mortem photos that surfaced on the internet. Then again we have a damaged film from a camera. Which camera did it come from? Also a thorough reserach of cameras shows that if Zolotaryov had a camera on his body then he must have carrying two cameras because one of his cameras was found in the tent. https://dyatlovpass.com/cameras

The compass is a wrist compass, worn like a wrist watch. Zolotaryov didn't take it on purpose, it was strapped on his hand.
General Discussion / What Semyon was Holding
« Last post by WinterLeia on April 04, 2024, 08:49:45 AM »
Although I can’t remember the details offhand, I remember that it was reported by someone that when the bodies outside the den were found that Semyon was holding a pad and pen in his hands, but as it turned out, hadn’t wrote anything on the pad. I didn’t really give much credence to the story at the time because it didn’t sound like it was very well supported. But in looking over Semyon’s autopsy report, I remembered it, because the autopsy notes that Semyon had a compass in his left hand, which I have no trouble believing. A compass seems very much the type of thing I would imagine he would have had and been using if they were forced out of their tent in the middle of the night. But how could he have been holding a pad, pen, and a compass in hands where it was quite likely he couldn’t even feel his fingers? Has anyone even tried to reconcile this oddity?
General Discussion / Re: Avalanche theory
« Last post by WinterLeia on April 04, 2024, 08:09:26 AM »
I do not believe they would have sat out there for that long, especially if they had injured companions or something else went catastrophically wrong, as must have happened if the injuries didn’t come from the avalanche that started it all. And as I stated previously, proving that an avalanche wouldn’t have left many traces three weeks after it happened still leaves you with little evidence that it happened. There are also weapons that could have been tested that leave no mark on the environment. The government could have killed everyone and staged the scene. You could say these are highly improbable events and there are elements that argue against them. And to that I would agree. But the same thing is true of an avalanche on that slope at that particular spot. The investigation was right in 1959 to leave it at an unknown compelling force, an unsatisfactory answer, I admit, but the only one that was possible due to the lack of evidence. To embrace a theory based on a computer model that showed something wasn’t impossible in certain areas where a slope was not as steep as 30 degrees, but not at that particular place, with little evidence to support it and having to tiptoe around the evidence that refuted it (like saying that the avalanche missed the entrance, with no evidence to support that, except that an avalanche would have flattened the entrance, which they know didn’t happen) is as bad as Ivanov stating that a fireball attacked Semyon, Luda, and Nicolai, because none of the burned trees were in a concentric circle and they were the only ones injured. That is not evidence of that happening. And it doesn’t matter how the evidence is lost; whether it’s covered up, trampled all over, or through natural processes. All that matters is the evidence is lost and you cannot base any theories on it, because you don’t have any evidence to indicate that such occurred.

Now,there is a phenomenon known as Occam’s Razor to use in such situations, which is largely the reason why the original investigation was comfortable in saying it was an unknown compelling force rather than murder or military testing, as those would be far less likely in such an environment and would require far more of an explanation regarding where the evidence went, motive, and all that. Nature isn’t really as complicated as human beings. But it is powerful and able to overcome even the strongest, most experienced, and most prepared humans. But when it comes to nature or weather related causes, an avalanche certainly does not follow Occam’s Razor when you need computer models, complicated formulas, and pictures to even suggest such a thing is possible, and with none of that applied to the case at hand. Nothing about that indicates that the newer investigation got any closer to solving the Dyatlov Pass mystery than an unknown compelling force. That was and should continue to be the official theory, and the fact that they were willing to compromise the fidelity of their investigation based on such evidence indicates an ulterior motive to me, which puts the theory they are backing into serious questions, as well as any other information they pass on.

General Discussion / Re: Walking sticks
« Last post by Arjan on April 04, 2024, 07:01:25 AM »
On the second photo of Zinaida in the mortuary this item is in focus.

I have encircled the area wherein the item is visible.

In my view, this item is a facemask with on the right side a hose/cilinder for probably attaching a filter.

Remark:
In the mortuary, only photos had been taken of details that had been very special in the view of the coroner.
This item and natural fibres had very probably very special in the opinion of the coroner, because there are four photos of both.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]