October 06, 2024, 04:20:12 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Money on Dyatlov group  (Read 814 times)

October 01, 2024, 02:28:40 AM
Read 814 times

Teddy

Administrator

From Rimma Kolevatova's testimony Case file 270:
"The funds allocated for the organization of such hiking expeditions are very scarce. This was a 22-day ski trip to remote areas in winter conditions. Naturally, it is supposed to have a supply of nutritional products, in particular, each hiker needed to have an inviolable supply of chocolate (just as they had a box of matches each in the breast inside pocket of the suit). The institute allocated to each student only 100 (one hundred) rubles as an aid, which, of course, was not enough. The remaining funds were collected by the group members themselves, amounting to 350 rubles."

From Dyatlov's plan for the expedition Case file 207:

Cost estimate
  1. Roundtrip fare
    130 х 11 = 1430 rubles
  2. Travel by car
    50 х 11 = 550 rubles
  3. Meals at a rate of 16 rubles
    per day per participant
    16 х 20 х 11 = 3520 rubles
  4. Purchase and rental
    equipment – 200 rubles

1300 rubles for 9 people

Received 1000 1100 rubles from the trade union committee

We have 1100 rubles for the expedition

found returned missing
Dyatlov 975 700+271 Ivanov is not sure where Case files vol.2-42
Case files vol.2-40
UPI 700, Dyatlov's father 271 Case files vol.2-46
In 1961 the amount of 700 rubles were given to Dyatlov's father Case files vol.2-51
Kolmogorova 5x1 5(+1) In the pockets of her jacket found in the tent Case file 12
Case files vol.2-42
Receipt Case files vol.2-9
Dubinina 35 35 In the pockets of her ski trousers found in the tent Case file 14
Case files vol.2-42
Receipt from Dubinina's mother Case files vol.2-71
Doroshenko 10x2 In the pockets of his jacket found in the tent Case files 15
In the pocket of his storm jacket Case files vol.2-41
Thibeaux 3+5(+1) 8 At the cedar Atmanaki's testimony Case file 216
"Around the campfire are discovered charred sock and a checkered shirt. In the shirt money - 8 rubles." Case file 3
In the pocket of his shirt Case files vol.2-42
Slobodin 310
100+50x4+10
310 On the body in the breast pocket of his checkered shirt Case file 15
Receipt from Slobodin't father Case files vol.2-8
Yudin 250 Receipt Case files vol.2-62
Bienko 350 Receipt Case files vol.2-61
Krivonischenko ?
Kolevatov 3x100 Rimma Kolevatova says she gave her brother 3x100 rubles, they are not found Case files vol.2-50
Zolotaryov ?
700 In a tin can Case files vol.2-42
In a tin can with 10 rolls of films Case file 6
Income cash order Case files vol.2-63
2053 1930

By origin the money on the Dyatlov group were:

1100 from the committee, looks like they remained in Dyatlov
3850 (350 each) to enroll in the expedition, should be in Lyuda
Personal money in their pockets, some of them are missing, but there is no logic unless only some bodies were tampered with

Expenses that we know of:

1. Lyuda spent 200 for a fabric that is used for summer clothes and she curses herself to have done this foolish purchase only because she had the money for the expedition. Surely she intended to return the money when they got back.
  2. Nine tickets for the train (not ten), Lyuda hid under the seats. Feeling guilty?
    According to Dyatlov's calculation above this amounts to 585 rubles (nine tickets of 65 rubles in one direction)
  3. Food, according to Dyatlov 16 rubles per person per day for 20 days = 3200 rubles
  4. The 700 found in the tin can with films, I believe those were set aside to be returned to Bienko and Yudin.

According to my calculations Lyuda had 3850-200=3650
I believe Lyuda bought the tickets or else Dyatlov would have insisted on buying the correct amount, he won't take the risk.
Tickets: 3650-585=3065
Food: 3065-3200=-135

The food was not bought all at once. I believe this is what made Lyuda postpone when she would admit to Dyatlov the shortage of 200 rubles. I believe that maybe she thought that she could cover it for longer, it was not a lot of money after all but Dyatlov kept the public money on him. So she had to tell him. Then my speculation is that he decided to put aside the money (the 700 in the tin can) they had to give back to Yudin and Bienko.

Was this the cause for Lyuda's bad mood? That the money was running out, maybe she hadn't told Igor about the 200 rubles spent on cambric aka batiste?

This has nothing to do with the tragedy, only explaining Lyuda's sulking which has always intrigued me. Why was she in such a bad mood?

This is not the most important observation about the money in the Dyatlov group though. I will point to something that is characteristic in many aspects of this investigation. The fact that things do not add up.

Money is left at the scene i.e. robbery is not the motive. But how come Krivonischenko, Kolevatov and Zolotaryov have no money on them, none whatsoever? Unless they were misplaced prior to the official discovery of the tent and bodies. For example when they were brought to the Ivdel morgue, undressed, examined, and then returned back to be officially found again. Read more details of this theory from book "1079".

We do not have Lyuda's notes of the expenses, what was bought, when, how much did it cost etc. This is also explained by the theory that someone else made the labaz where the supplies were found because the original labaz was taken apart not expecting the massive search operation. When the searchers read the diaries and started looking for a "labaz" this is when the one we know of was found, with products like sausages, sugar and cocoa not touched by the animals for a whole month. Dyatlov's original list of food supplies and the notes how much everything cost when they bought it, all this is missing. The case files contain what was found, not what the group carried with them. More troubling is that the rest of the papers are found in Dyatlov's field bag, but nothing about food supplies.

Lyuda's diary is not included in the case files and not all the pages were scanned. It is not known where the original diary is.

From Lyuda Dubinina's diary:

23 january. It’s the last day of preparations and everything has been quite hectic. From eleven in the morning I was scampering between stores buying different bits and pieces. I foolishly bought five meters of cambric that took a whole day cost 200 rubles.

I discussed with Vladimir Askinadzi what could have been the fate of these "five meters of cambric". Here is what he said:

The word "foolishly" itself says a lot! The purchase was not planned or listed. Lyudmila simply "ran into" another "deficit" and, like any woman of that time, could not resist. She probably had to stand in line for a while.
I think the money was public, otherwise she would not have remembered about the purchase.
Dyatlov could forgive this "initiative" since Gordo did give him some money (this is my personal assumption!).
Lyuda could have kept it at home only with Dyatlov's consent, since it was bought with public money. At that time, public property was treated very honestly. Most likely, she left it at home, and would have paid the money (with Igor's knowledge) after the hike. We used to do that. All things bought along the route (books, some things, etc.) were bought (with my permission) sometimes with public money, taking into account that at home they would be returned to the common fund, since after the hike money is always needed to pay for unforeseen expenses for preparing reports, stands, etc.

Askinadzi's original comment in Russian:
Само слово «Сдуру» говорит о многом! Никакими планами и списками покупка не была предусмотрена. Людмила просто «налетела» нечаянно на очередной «дефицит» и, как любая женщина того времени, не смогла удержаться. Наверняка пришлось ещё постоять в очереди.
Думаю, что деньги были общественными, иначе бы она о покупке и не вспоминала.
Дятлов мог простить эту «инициативу», поскольку Гордо всё же дал ему немного денег (это моё личное предположение!).
Люда могла его оставить дома у себя только с согласия Дятлова, поскольку он куплен на общественные деньги. В то время к общественной собственности относились очень честно. Скорей всего она оставила его дома, а деньги (по договорённости с Игорем) внесла бы после похода. Мы в своё время так делали. Все вещи, купленные по маршруту (книги, какие-то вещи и т.д.), покупались (с моего разрешения) иногда на общественные деньги с учётом, что дома они будут возвращены в общую копилку, поскольку после похода деньги всегда нужны для оплаты непредвиденных расходов по оформлению отчётов, стендов и пр.

Valentin Yakimenko is describing a similar incident: "Once on a trek, one participant, tempted by the thought of the condensed milk in his backpack, secretly from the group ate one can. Regretting afterwards, he told Igor about this. Igor did not scold or shame him. He kept silent. And then he said: "When we return to Sverdlovsk, you will pay the cost of the condensed milk to the group’s cash desk." This case was remembered for many years..." From Ural Stalker 2009 №1

« Last Edit: October 01, 2024, 04:01:22 AM by Teddy »

October 01, 2024, 04:23:53 AM
Reply #1

Axelrod

The topic of the roll of fabric and the 200 rubles spent immediately interested me in this story when I started studying it 2 years ago. The fact is that my ancestors on my mother's side worked in the 19th century at the largest fair in Irbit (180 km from Yekaterinburg), which usually took place in February. My grandmother's father, grandfather and great-grandfather worked at this fair as fabric sales managers.

My second cousin Dmitry Akselrod, the son of Moisei Akselrod. His ancestors also worked at this fair.
Also, my and his great-grandfather (grandmother's father) worked as a clerk in a transport company for the transportation of goods. I graduated from the economics department of MIPT.

Yudin graduated from the economics department of UPI. Yudin's father moved to the village of Tabory from Irbit, and may have also worked at this fair. The fair was held not all year round, but one month a year.
If you study the case from an accounting point of view, you can find a lot of interesting things. For some reason, 5 rubles were found on Kolmogorova's body, but Ivanov returned 6 rubles to her parents. One ruble (or 10 kopecks after the 1960 denomination) is a small sum, at that time you could only buy a loaf of bread for it.

200 rubles for a roll of cambric - this is apparently 200 rubles for equipment rental (for example, bicycle rental). All 200 rubles were spent on buying 5 meters of fabric. The fabric was intended for sewing ski boot covers. At first I thought that each person was cut 50 cm long (out of 5 meters for 10 people), and 1-2 meters wide, if you can say so (the width of the roll is not necessarily 1 meter). But it seemed to me that 50 cm was not enough for the height of the snow. I began to study the cash receipts and found that at the very beginning 7 boot covers were found, belonging to Kolmogorova. All these covers were torn. This is more likely to be true, because 70 cm (one arshin) is just enough for the height of the boot and the sole.
Researcher Rybakov explains to us that all 4 meters were used to sew a cover at the entrance to the tent. You don't have to be a great mathematician to understand that 5 meters is too much for a tent 2 meters wide. They had a lot of sheets, from those sheets that they received in the hostel.
Somehow, the searchers kept 10 sets of sheets for themselves, so the sheets do not appear in the criminal case, except for radiograms.

Perhaps Lyuda Dubinina bought the wrong fabric, and when the tourists' legs quickly tore and began to get wet from the snow, a conflict arose with Dubinina, which is why she hid alone in the tent.
Perhaps there was no other fabric in the store, because few people need fabric for tourist purposes.

As for food expenses. Usually, a person eats the same amount of food on a trip as at home. Why include food expenses as additional expenses if a person will eat the same at home? This was the case on my trips. One of the exceptions was when food in Sevastopol turned out to be the most expensive of all the places I've been (I compared prices in Russia, Georgia and Ukraine). I can't say anything about Armenia. Because they treated me like a guest there. Naturally, I didn't visit Azerbaijan...

You might assume that the most expensive city should be Moscow. However, in Moscow, shawarma cost 70-100 rubles, but sausages and shawarma in Sevastopol cost more than 100 rubles (I slightly remember it was about 105 or 110 rubles).

This only concerned Sevastopol, in other cities in Crimea it was still cheaper.
My cellmate, who came from the neighboring region, refused to buy anything in Crimea and was starving because he was afraid to buy at such a high price, refused to buy food because everything is expensive in Crimea. The only thing that was compensated was a free visit to Chersonesos (in other places, like Bakhchicharai or Akkerman, it cost money)
Teodora will confirm this. She was recently in Sevastopol visiting Askinadzi.

October 01, 2024, 07:01:55 AM
Reply #2

GlennM

That said, is there a link to be forged to connect money to their deaths. How could this precipitate what happened next?
We don't have to say everything that comes into our head.

October 01, 2024, 07:08:06 AM
Reply #3

Ziljoe

They might have used some as tinder at the ceder or when emptying pockets it got blown away.

October 01, 2024, 07:37:56 AM
Reply #4

Teddy

Administrator
That said, is there a link to be forged to connect money to their deaths. How could this precipitate what happened next?

No

October 01, 2024, 09:43:09 AM
Reply #5

Axelrod

I don't really care how they spent the money, that's the tourists' right.
Much more interesting is how the investigation took it into account.

https://dyatlovpass.com/case-files-volume-2-62

Given to the prosecutor, comrade Ivanov, that I, Yuri Efimovich Yudin (address: Sverdlovsk, Vtuzgorodok, 8th student building, room 513), received two hundred and fifty rubles (250 rubles) from the money found on the Dyatlov group.

Signature: (Yudin's signature) March 8, 1958

https://dyatlovpass.com/case-files-volume-2-42?

10. 975 rubles – wherein?
11. 700 rubles in a tin can

I understand this entry as follows: Ivanov gave Yudin 250 rubles out of 950 rubles, and it came out to 700 rubles.
Now Ivanov does not remember this fact and cannot understand where the 950+25 rubles disappeared to. Wherer are 25 roubles?
Or am I misunderstanding something here???

Second moment I have already mentioned.

https://dyatlovpass.com/case-files-volume-2-9?rbid=19667

5 rubles in Z. Kolmogorova's jacket.

https://dyatlovpass.com/case-files-11-20

, in the jacket's pockets were found: a photo id on Kolmogorova's name, 5 rub. money (rubles)

https://dyatlovpass.com/case-files-volume-2-42

2/VII 6 rubles found on Zina Kolmogorova were given to Kolmogorova’s parents (signature Ivanov) 2/VII-1959

Why 6 rubles?
It might be only
https://dyatlovpass.com/case-files-209-220?
Sheet 216 Closer to the cedar were found eight rubles of money, in two bills of 3 and 5

Maybe 8 roubles were supposed for 8 persones, except Zolotaryov
Why Dubinina's mother didn't receive exora 1 rouble? Or 8 persones except Dubiniba who was an accountant of common money&
So many questions arise....

In general, so far it seems that the investigator is trying to conduct an investigation, but he is not succeeding. Of course, Ivanov did not assume that his notes would be studied by investigators from different countries in 65 years.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2024, 09:54:24 AM by Axelrod »

October 01, 2024, 11:35:14 AM
Reply #6

GlennM

Thanks for the replies. I get a hard no, tinder for fire and investigative data report from your replies. If there is anything of value to this thread, for me it is that the Soviet investigators did not play at their work. It appears that in every instance, there was investigation, analysis and documentation. I do not detect coverup. Too, the deceased were treated humanely. The major friction it seems revolved around the transport of the bodies in an unapproved manner by helicopter ( zinc containers) and the speed with which closure was wrought from the burials. Better to finalize their services than have things delayed.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2024, 04:24:01 PM by GlennM »

The following users thanked this post: Ziljoe

October 01, 2024, 07:29:49 PM
Reply #7

Ziljoe

A small amount of missing money doesn't ring any alarm bells and I'm not sure if someone would buy 5 meters of cambric to carry around on hike as extra luggage. If I understand it correctly Lyuda bought it at the railway station and people came to say goodbye and she may have gave the material to one of them. Or it was used for the hike as the divider in the tent or for covers for the boots?.

I struggle with them being found , stripped , redressed and then put back at the location to be found again?.

If they were to make a labaz , then I think they put it in the correct location for their return.  logs were cut to save them the work of doing it again , the repacking of the labaz items would be easier to do at an overnight campsite where they could warm up by the fire and thaw food items.

I don't think they would have put the labaz on the hill side as they wouldn't know the weather conditions on their return , this could cause two problems...1) to find it again , 2) to unpack their back packs and re pack the labaz items to  then move on to another campsite to unpack it all again.

The following users thanked this post: GlennM

October 02, 2024, 02:48:26 AM
Reply #8

Teddy

Administrator
A small amount of missing money doesn't ring any alarm bells and I'm not sure if someone would buy 5 meters of cambric to carry around on hike as extra luggage. If I understand it correctly Lyuda bought it at the railway station and people came to say goodbye and she may have gave the material to one of them. Or it was used for the hike as the divider in the tent or for covers for the boots?.
The fabric is not suitable for anything on the trek and it was not brought on the trek.
The fabric is used for summer dresses.
The fabric was left back in Sverdlovsk, it is a private purchase that took Lyuda the time to wait in line for a whole day instead of preparing for the trek. This is why she is mad at herself.

I struggle with them being found, stripped, redressed and then put back at the location to be found again?
This is the gist of my book.

October 02, 2024, 03:19:13 AM
Reply #9

Ziljoe

Ok, so the material wasn't brought on the hike. I'm afraid I don't know if it was or wasn't, I thought it might have been used for the dividing sheet in the tent or boot covers. I didn't know what the material was used for.

So Lyuda got side tracked on a shopping spree for her summer dress and may have used some of the funds. This sounds a reasonable explanation. It could be that she is berating herself and it will be forgotten about in a couple of days.

I have your book teddy and it raises good ideas. The tree is the most interesting part but I can't work out the chronology of the bodies being found then returned and then staging the footprints. Im stuck with making that work because of lack of evidence.

October 02, 2024, 03:32:31 AM
Reply #10

Teddy

Administrator
Ok, so the material wasn't brought on the hike. I'm afraid I don't know if it was or wasn't, I thought it might have been used for the dividing sheet in the tent or boot covers. I didn't know what the material was used for.

I provided a link in my original post what cambric aka batiste is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambric

This post started with the cambric but ended with the question: where are the pocket money of Krivonischenko, Kolevatov, and Zolotaryov?

October 02, 2024, 04:16:56 AM
Reply #11

Ziljoe

I provided a link in my original post what cambric aka batiste is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambric

This post started with the cambric but ended with the question: where are the pocket money of Krivonischenko, Kolevatov, and Zolotaryov?

Yes, I seen your link. I read about the cambric before. It seemed reasonable to be used as privacy for the girls in the tent( they had something) , if you say it's for a dress then that's fine, I don't think it matters much and I did say she may have gave the material away at the station..

As for the money, some was found under the ceder , some may have got lost else where given the state of the clothing.

October 02, 2024, 04:21:57 AM
Reply #12

Teddy

Administrator

Yes, I seen your link. I read about the cambric before. It seemed reasonable to be used as privacy for the girls in the tent( they had something) , if you say it's for a dress then that's fine, I don't think it matters much and I did say she may have gave the material away at the station..

As for the money, some was found under the ceder , some may have got lost else where given the state of the clothing.

So you are saying that you have figured it all out, there is nothing suspicious in all this, I shouldn't have bothered?
This is a rhetorical question.
All this seems so important for the Russians.
That's the reason I don't follow up on what I post.
I post information. Do with it what you want.
I hope to be told if my factual information is not right, or I missed something.
About the interpretation of the facts we will never agree, so I don't care.

October 02, 2024, 05:03:07 AM
Reply #13

Ziljoe

No, I'm not saying I've figured it out in the slightest. I understood it was rhetorical question.

I'm not sure which part you mean to be suspicious, the missing money or the full incident.

You put forward a plausible explanation for the mood and the cambric and I'm not disagreeing. I was passing comment because I can't think of any significance to the missing money, I didn't mean anything bad by it.

Many people say it was this or that and all have merit to some degree . I haven't come to a conclusion about what happened but I lean towards the hikers pitching the tent on the slope and something drove them out, I think it was something natural and most likely weather conditions. When I read the reports I can see there are errors, I have to deal with different translations and some typos that I can't fully grasp. But sometimes when I step back , the case itself seems too accurate for anything to be covered up.

I am not arguing with you , I'm actually trying to engage and I thought you might have found something regarding the missing money, I implied maybe the money simply got lost because I can't think of why it would be significant.

My apologies.

October 02, 2024, 05:18:11 AM
Reply #14

Teddy

Administrator
Thank you, but no need for apology.
We are all frustrated because of all the dead ends.

If only the money were displaced, ok. But everywhere you look something is odd: knifes, skis, ice axes, blankets, clothes, maps, backpacks, food, watches, cameras, photos, I mean EVERYWHERE.

While I was tracking down the money I saw the following: Case file 15
"6. Identified as Doroshenko's belongings:
a) black backpack, burgundy blanket, blue padded jacket, knitted training pants, shoes, checked scarf vigogne, ear flaps hat, tarpaulin jacket, and in the pockets of the jacket two notebooks and 20 rubles (10x2)."

Where are these two notebooks?
If they are any of the known diaries why are they in Doroshenko's pockets, all two of them and none of them his own?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2024, 05:30:56 AM by Teddy »

October 02, 2024, 06:20:11 AM
Reply #15

GlennM

Since strangers collected the tent and contents, some randomization is expected. I have the idea that this also goes back to nurse Solter. For me, her whole involvement is suspect.  Simply put, if cleaned up, redressed corpses were posed out in the woods, it would be obvious, not to mention the tissue degradation for twice thawed bodies.

The question of rubles supports the idea that a robbery did not happen. It may explain Lyudya's mood, but paints her as more immature than we has assumed previously. Yes, she got her material when the getting was good, but she did so by financially inconveniencing nine others. She wanted it both ways. If so, sulking may be an act. Itmis called reaction formation in psychology. It works by putting on a show of temper in order to put other people off, thus hiding the truth.

Having two notebooks does not necessarily mean anything suspicious, especially if their contents were reported. It strikes me like assigning sinister motives to someone carrying a,second  camera. It is no big deal.

I suspect that on the latest expedition to 1079, nothing, especially coinage was discovered to move the needle toward a solution to the mystery. I revert to my suggestion that the primary unknown compelling force was weather related, specifically snow conditions.Since it is transient, one must weight it as a degree of probability. I feel it is highly probable.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2024, 07:03:33 AM by GlennM »

October 02, 2024, 06:38:42 AM
Reply #16

Teddy

Administrator
I couldn't even get to the cedar which is of interest to me on my last expedition. Here is the report: Expedition 2024
But I am a chief of the next expedition and as of today with the money raised we have a professional class metal detector.

I am leaving to the states in 10 days and will be sending all the contributors signed books and artifacts from the Dyatlov Pass as I promised.

October 02, 2024, 11:15:07 AM
Reply #17

GlennM

May I suggest you put that detector to use to find meteorites? If,they fetch 10+ US dollers per gram, a,few finds could pay your way and then some! Meteorites have iron and nickel in them and are magnetic. Use the detector to locate them and use a magnet on a stick to collect them, then find a buyer, there are many buyers.

Interesting, Teddy. Where in the states will you visit?

October 02, 2024, 01:08:15 PM
Reply #18

Teddy

Administrator
May I suggest you put that detector to use to find meteorites? If,they fetch 10+ US dollers per gram, a,few finds could pay your way and then some! Meteorites have iron and nickel in them and are magnetic. Use the detector to locate them and use a magnet on a stick to collect them, then find a buyer, there are many buyers.
I am not sure this is not going to be considered smuggling.

Interesting, Teddy. Where in the states will you visit?
Vegas baby

Book signing 2021

Book signing 2022

Book signing 2023

October 02, 2024, 09:17:45 PM
Reply #19

GlennM

Vegas  dance1
I didn't want you to steal Russian meteorites...unless they were on 1079! LOL
The detector can make you money while developing skills. People pay for meteorites of all sizes. Perhaps there is a strewn field near your home town.

October 03, 2024, 02:41:51 AM
Reply #20

Ziljoe

Thank you, but no need for apology.
We are all frustrated because of all the dead ends.

<p>If only the money were displaced, ok. But everywhere you look something is odd: knifes, skis, ice axes, blankets, clothes, maps, backpacks, food, watches, cameras, photos, I mean EVERYWHERE.</p>
<p>While I was tracking down the money I saw the following: <a href="https://dyatlovpass.com/case-files-11-20#doroshenko" target="_blank">Case file 15</a><br />

"6. Identified as Doroshenko's belongings:<br />

a) black backpack, burgundy blanket, blue padded jacket, knitted training pants, shoes, checked scarf vigogne, ear flaps hat, tarpaulin jacket, and in the pockets of the jacket <span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 153);">two notebooks</span> and 20 rubles (10x2)."</p>
<p>Where are these two notebooks?<br />

If they are any of the known diaries why are they in Doroshenko's pockets, all two of them and none of them his own?</p>

There are a lot of oddities within the case files but that happens in investigations , especially when people are not trained and / or there was no initial suspicion of criminal activity. If the priority was to try and find the hikers alive , then the events add up in the first instance. The search, when they eventually get their act together seems to follow a logical process .

The alarm is raised after the 12th and the people responsible give it a few of days, delays are  expected  . The families push for a search and some people are pulled together after eventually getting the map route that Dyatlov failed to give anyone.  Kolevatov’s sister pushes by writing letters and on February 26 a telegram was sent to Nikita Khrushchev, signed by Nina Sergeevna Anisimova, another sister of Aleksander Kolevatov.

When everything is cross-referenced it seems to add up. The delay to the search caused by assumptions by several people and a total apathy by the sports club , the start date of the criminal case after Kolevatov's sister pushes a telegram to Nikita Khrushchev makes sense. If there's any messing about or reason to make it an official criminal case it's then. One of the sisters embellished the return date as the 9th of February to exaggerate the urgency to get as many resources as possible to help the search. A lot of heads are potentially going to roll for not doing anything so everyone is now taking it seriously as the Kremlin has been informed. ( This still happens today, if the organisation doesn't take action , you write to your member of parliament and then the organisation move's appropriately ).

The final report addresses this quite firmly.

"On the procedure for organizing and the responsibilities of organizers, leaders and participants of tourist trips" and "On the work of route commissions for tourism", which in a number of provisions do not provide a clear and precise answer to questions about the responsibilities of individuals and organizations responsible for conducting tourist trips, do not clearly define the role of sports organizations located in the places where the trips are held and real measures for organizing assistance to tourist groups in the event of a fatal danger.

Major shortcomings and mistakes in the organization of tourism work on the part of the leaders of UPI and the former City Committee of Physical Culture and Sports found their manifestation in the unsatisfactory organization of the search for the deceased group of tourists at the initial stage of this work.

As a result of the investigation into the causes of the tourists' deaths on site, it was established that, according to all the data, the time of their deaths was between January 31 and February 1 of this year. However, the City Committee of the CPSU learned of this tragic incident very late and by chance. Only five days after the deadline for submitting the control signal from the tourist group /February 15, were measures taken to search for them, and at first on a completely insufficient scale.

The death of a group of tourists is a big and difficult lesson for the entire sports community of the city of Sverdlovsk, for the personnel responsible for organizing work on the development of tourism, for party, trade union and Komsomol organizations.

The Bureau of the City Committee of the CPSU DECIDES:

1. It should be noted that the leaders of the Ural Polytechnic Institute: Director comrade Siunov N.S., Secretary of the Party Committee comrade Zaostrovsky F.P., Chairman of the Trade Union Committee comrade Slobodin V.E. allowed an irresponsible attitude towards the organization of work on tourism at the institute as a whole, entrusted this work to the sports club of the institute and its tourism section, and did not establish personal responsibility for conducting tourist trips and excursions.

For unsatisfactory management of the work of the sports club, major shortcomings in the work of the tourist section and the slowness shown in organizing the search for the deceased tourists, the chairman of the institute's trade union committee, Comrade V.E. Slobodin, is to be reprimanded and entered into his record card
......"

The report continues in a similar vain.

The response and action of the search was sloppy, there was no contingency plan by the sports committee on any of its students, they didn't have a copy of Dyatlov's route or expected return, irrelevant if Dyatlov was a bit of a maverick or not. It was what we would call gross misconduct .

Seemingly they also knew about Dyatlov's intention to build a labaz / warehouse and the instructions to also try and locate this before they found the diaries also makes sense.

The oddity in photos, watches, Ice axes etc are probably just poor documentation. A lot of people were their friends in the search and unfortunately things were touched but I think that's because they didn't suspect foul play.

The only two things that are odd to me is leaving the tent, without resources and the rib fractures in the ravine 4. However, your fallen tree is something of interest as a three way coincidence. The date of the fallen tree, it's location and the nature of the injuries is one of the strongest links yet.