The baffle or divider couldnhave more than one use. I interpreted the diary entry about justification for reserving space for modesty. I understand that like a rain fly over an outddoor tent, a baffle could mitigate a draft if people exit the tent through the flap and baffle in some combination.
The point to all of this is to determine the liklihood that Zina and Lyuda were shoulder to shoulder when the tent needed leaving. By extension, Lyudas injuries were severe enough that Zina should have suffered similarly. This is not so. Lyuda and Zolo are more alike, but their damage is not distributed to their companions. I believe the forum will soon get some compelling analysis of Lyudas remains.
As a result, the sleeping arrangement of the women does not add to my understanding of the case, except that it supports the idea that each was wounded elsewhere.Again, watch for new posts in the forum.
I am not alone in my suspicion that crisis happened when the group was caught in the morning while preparing for the Feb 2nd push, rather than settling down for the night of the 1st. They had eaten and food was left out in the tent. Each was found to be closer to being dressed than undressed. The emergency prevented Rustem and Igor from grabbing their jackets. Nine pair of boots were accounted for by one inventory. I could easily believe that a night's worth of accumulated snow and maybe not much more than normal shuffling around inside the tent caused the outdoor mid tent support poles and rope to give way, collapsing the tent on the inside. Here is where I get stuck. If the collapse happened Feb 2, and if it was dawning or past dawn, common sense would have then dig out the tent, finish dressing and bug out.
I am additionally not clear on the night watchman duties. I can appreciate they may have tended the fire, if there was one. They could check outside rigging, but over the loud,complaints of friends getting a cold draft...twice. As such I doubt the guard left the tent. If it works, don't fix it, is what I mean. Besides, if somebody just had to attend to needs ojtside, they would notice something.