June 25, 2022, 03:25:11 PM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Video / Photography / Re: The Cedar Then/Now
« Last post by Jean Daniel Reuss on Today at 01:48:13 PM »

Reply #26
Very interesting. It made me wonder if the Dyatlov group broke off tree branches to protect themselves also.  Think I read somewhere that Igor was found holding a birch branch. 

Beware! To facilitate the debate, the explanatory theories of the DPI can be classified into only two main categories.

- 1° -
For the many proponents of a death without voluntary human intervention, the branches of the cedar were cut or broken by the hikers.
In this case, it is arguable that it was done in order to feed the fire. However, some people point out that there were some dead branches that were already in or on the snow. These branches were certainly wet.
    sarapuk : Reply #14
« One of the many mysteries of this Dyatlov Case. Why did they build a fire  !  ?  To keep warm  ! ? To use it as protection from something ! ? To use it to light up the place ! ? To cook ! ?  Why »

- 2° -
There are those who believe that the injuries found
                https://dyatlovpass.com/death
                https://dyatlovpass.com/injuries?filter_page=2&rbid=18461
 are the result of fighting against attackers, in accordance with the expertise of Eduard Tumanov, Doctor of forensics at Pirogov Russian National Research Medical University.

In this case, the Den, the Fire, the missing branches of the Cedar could have been made, not by the hikers, but by the attackers.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
On the matter of Daytlov holding a birch branch, I have no idea.

«  Above the snow were visible only his hands clenched into fists folded in front of his chest. The unbuttoned jacket is unusual for somebody that is freezing to death....»

I cannot discern anything obvious in these 5 photos.

« Last post by Charles on Today at 11:07:50 AM »
It is the contrary : it is much easier to operate illegally or to hide in the suburbs of big cities than in a nearly deserted area
where any unusual human presence is more easily noticed.

Moreover, these regions of the Urals were relatively better patrolled and surveilled than other parts of Siberia.

The remote parts of Siberia would never be better patrolled than big cities. Cities were important for the Soviets, they didn't only crack down criminals in the cities but they even preventively expelled potential criminals: the system of "passport" was specially created by the Soviets to keep unwanted elements away from the cities. They could get lost in the Urals or wherever but were not allowed to live in the big cities. And that's why you find all these former convicts working at Ivdel, Vizhay and District 41.

And another nice photo for you, a family portrait of Russian nationals leaving in Vizhay:

enjoying the "Mansi lifestyle" or "Urals lifestyle"...

Murdered / Re: Frame N°20 of Slobodin's camera
« Last post by Charles on Today at 10:07:43 AM »
Motives (1)

So, according to me, the murders belonged to a wide category of violences generated by envy. What Hamza Syunikayev said in his testimony: Then he pulled out a gorgeous sable skin from his bosom. I was jealous - I wish I had one!, the loggers experienced it when the two girls appeared. And we can also categorize the murders as outsiders killed by locals. These are two were universal grounds for murder and violence. It is not unknown territory, it is old story, very ancient story, very archaic path that generations have gone through. From Abel and Cain to contemporary school shootings.

I. Context: tourists as preys

I think the hikers were easily spotted as tourists and outsiders when they left the city center of Sverdlovsk and went into small towns and  deep country :

I, as always, was approached by some countryman. (Kolmogorova)

In the train cart a young drunk accused us of stealing his booze from his pocket. For the second time this day the cops were involved. (Yudin)

Then out of the blue a young alcoholic came to the boys and accused them of stealing a bottle of vodka. He demanded her return and promised to punch them in the teeth. In the end, he did not prove or get anything and got lost. (Lyuda)

They attracted attention of the locals, they were easy to spot as outsiders.

II. Temptation and revenge

1. Children teased and denied

There is a first incident which is a figure of the next tragedy. When the tourists tempted the children and denied them, with the "expected" outcome according to Yudin, that there was an outburst of tears, screams, cries, when the kids were suddenly frustrated by the adults who lit desire in their innocents hearts. You get tears when you tease and deny children, you get a brutal blow back when you tease and deny loggers of the Urals.

That "tease and denial" is called skandalon in the Gospel and double-bind after Gregory Bateson's research with the School of Palo Alto. When being cornered in a double-bind, you only have two possibilities: either you collapse (tears, depression, schizophrenia, possession) either you get violent (and violent to the extreme).

2. Loggers teased and denied

I think there was a double dimension in the loggers frustration, I think it was both social and sexual.

The tourists brought with the truck images of dozens of women thighs and two live women. They watched Symphony in gold with Venediktov and the loggers in the evening of Jan. 26, a display of many thighs, miniskirts, panties, feathers, shaking butts, cleavages, naked flesh… The tourists had dinner with the loggers : Lunch was served, we ate and now we are resting. Some of the group is watching a movie in the adjacent room. (Krivonischenko), they watched the movie and then they all went to sleep, the loggers in their chaotic dormitory and the two girls (the two pairs of real thighs) in Valyukyavichus's room. The next morning, the loggers declared a day off and Venediktov had to comply. Yudin mentioned it as a "strike" but the two girls just wrote "they don't work". And they didn't work because of the girls. The loggers spent the day "challenging" the tourist men, singing for the girls, "dancing" with them, telling them about the taiga and Mansi language... They danced according to Ryazhnev's testimony :

While the hikers were in 41 district they had good time, sang and danced with the loggers.

But none of the camera owners had the idea to take a photo. Why not take a photo of their women dancing with these men. I think the tourists had poor interest for their girls (except for Dyatlov). Among the tourist boys, three or four of them could have made a career in Hollywood as actors: Yudin, Slobodin, Doroshenko and Dyatlov. And the other boys were not bad. But the two girls, Lyuda and Zina, it was very different: the boys were much more attractive as boys than the girls were attractive as girls. But the girls were largely good enough for the loggers who lived in a remote place where there were "no women at all". And as the tourists were challenged by the loggers, they could begin to rise their level of interest for the girls. They neglected the girls, but suddenly, when they saw the loggers trying to seduce the girls, dancing with them, they reacted as they understood they could be wronged. And thus, the status of the girls:

we are together and yet we’re not together (Zina's diary)

became a real problem. The general ambiguity of the relationships inside the tourists group was the best ground for conflict with the loggers. The tourists came at District 41 with Zina and Lyuda, and none of the boys was dating any of them, but they came with the girls as their girls, and the more the loggers seduced the girls, the more the girls smiled at the loggers and found them cute, the more Lyuda said she liked Valya as a joke, the more they danced together, then the more the tourists thought about Zina and Lyuda as their girls. And then, even though the tourists were not that much in love with the girls, they were about to react and claim the girls as theirs. We can read that cruel note about "illegal prison songs" written by Zina's ex-boyfriend in the group's diary, we can read about the late and pathetical attempt of Dyatlov to claim Zina as hers in the next morning... And maybe words were spoken, mean and humiliating... it was easy for young engineers to take verbally the advantage on poor workers...

For exeample, Zolotaryov brought an issue of the magazine Krokodil, which one we don't know, but some could read in the most recent issue before the beginning of the trek:

Krokodil 1959, N°2, Jan. 20

Does not this caricature talk about these workers who stayed "for free" according to Yudin's diary : The workers are very different. Recruits after the army, after serving time (to earn some money and stayed, or for free). ? Does not the lad look so much like the man N°4 on farewell photo? And could not we add this caption to the drawing: "Social parasites are sent to District 41"?

How easy to be mean with them ? To harm with a few chosen words ? Insisting on the poverty, the lack of education, the misery of the dormitory, the total absence of hope of the loggers ? The tourists could be perfect douchebags as the incident at the station proved it. Krivonishenko was the main protagonist:

Also Georgiy was good friends with the majority of Dyatlov group, who often visited the spacious apartment of his parents in the city centre of Sverdlovsk. Krivonishenko’s parents were well-educated and influential people, and they often welcomed students to their place. His father was the chief construction engineer of the Beloyarski Hydro-Electro Station.

He was arrested by the police:

We were not allowed in the station with the backpacks. We settled nearby the station. The boys cross the treasurer, that's me, with accusations of stinginess and greed. Alas, the canteen at this point is a great luxury for us. There was one small incident - Yurka K. was taken by the police charging him with deception. Our hero decided to walk around the station handing a cap for change after singing a song. Yuri had to be rescued. (Dubinina)

So the young privileged had fun playing to be poor. It was not "funny" as wrote Zina, it was stupid and arrogant. And the incident was not heroic at all. It was betraying the trust of the policeman who hesitated and finally let them enter the station, they had already benefited of a grace but they abused of the benefactor… they behaved like spoiled kids. And the policeman had certainly previously expelled some real beggar from the station...  It was class contempt: rich having fun playing to be poor… We can be sure Krivonishenko would not have pretended to beg for money in a hat, for the fun, at the central station of Sverdlovsk or in Moscow Red Square or in Paris… They didn’t pay attention to the locals: this was the ultimate sign of contempt… allowing themselves to behave without shame because they had low consideration for the people who could look at the scene, as if their look meant nothing, as if these people were nothing. This arrogance, they bring it wherever they go, and it was spotted by the locals…. Cameras around the neck, boasting of being tourists, rich having fun playing to be poor, hypocritically complaining they were restrained to sing their songs but denunciating for real in their diary the counter-revolutionary crime of singing illegal prison songs (double standard morals) by the very loggers who welcomed them… and heading with two maidens straight into the outcasts camp site, straight into the logger's barrack.

The Soviets made a very big effort to purge cities from lumpenproletariat. Security in the cities was a priority for Soviet authorities, and they cared much less about the countrysides, and even much less about the Urals. What was lumpenproletariat ?

Most of them belonged to lumpenproletariat which, in all big cities, is a distinct group from industrial proletariat, hatchery of thieves and of criminals of all kinds, living from the rubbish of society, individuals without avowable professional activity, prowlers, people who are not trustworthy and without hotbed. Karl Marx, in The Struggle of classes in France (1848-1850)

Lumpenproletariat, this scum of deviant individuals of all classes, who establish their headquarters in big cities, is the worst of any possible allies. This scum is absolutely venal and importunate. Friedrich Engels, preface to The war of peasants in Germany (1850)

The sort of people who ended at the foot of the Urals, at District 41 which was a mix of all the waste of Soviet society. And it might have been not easy to find a greater opposition between these two groups: the tourists and the loggers, Soviet elite meeting lumpenproletariat... and two girls in the middle as the challenge. I think the tourists made some big mistake at District 41, that infuriated the locals and the locals made the tourist pay the toll. I can't tell what, but it was very probably about the girls and using social status as a mean to harm. And with a kind of unrealism of the tourists that they would not have to pay for the consequences.

« Last post by Charles on Today at 04:00:26 AM »
The role of Nicolay Ognev

As I already mentioned in my post All 10 photos of Nicolay Ognev in chronological order, there are 10 photos of Nicolay Ognev who did not even belong to the hiking group (some hikers do not appear as often on the rolls), the tourists all wrote about him in their diaries, and it obviously makes of Nicolay Ognev a term of the problem...

Because of Ognev's talks with the tourists:

Ognev, Nick? since 1931. - long beard. He knows the whole of the Northern Urals. He was a participant of many geological expeditions. Quite knowledgeable on many issues. (Yudin)

We talked with Ognev. He knows a lot and is interesting with him, now he talks about where we are going and more like this. (Dubinina)

the loggers knew the intended route of the tourists. And more than just theoretically knowing the route, they knew it by experience, they had already been there. The tourists walked on loggers’ ground.

So, if the loggers wanted to set up an ambush, they perfectly knew where to wait for the tourists.

-----

But did Ognev participated in that hypothetical ambush ? I don't think so. In his biography, we can read:

OGNEV Nikolaï Grigorievitch - presumably born in 1931.  Graduated from the Ufa (mining) technical school. Until 1957, he worked for several years in the Tolya Party of the Ural Geological Administration. In 1957, the Tolyinskaya party was transferred to the Tyumen Geological Administration, the work was closed, and all the workers were fired.

The start was good but suddenly there is a sort of accident:

He worked in cooperation as the head of the site in the village of Khurumpaul from the Berezovsky district industrial complex (he drove limestone stones on a reindeer sled along the winter road from a lime quarry to the Yatriya River for firing to lime).

Form «head of the site» to «driving stones on a reindeer sled» !!!! Like a punishment. And after that, the same mediocrity:

Later he was hired by the Northern Expedition (Ivdel). In 1958 - assistant tractor driver of the convoy of the Northern Expedition from Ivdel to Tolya; in January 1959 he worked in the 41st quarter. In 1959 lived: Tyumen region, Berezovsky district, Nyaksimvol settlement, handyman. Later, he agreed to move to work in the Subpolar Urals, in one of the ground detachments of the Aeromagnetic Party, which were based close to the center line of the Ural Range in the region of the Turman-Nel and Yaruta-Syakhal peaks; in December 1961 he worked in the ground detachment of geophysicists of the party of A.A. Latypov in the upper reaches of the Nyais (Nyaksimvol) river ; in 1961-62 - a worker / tractor driver in the aeromagnetic party of the Yamalo-Nenets expedition (base in Saranpaul).

Assistant tractor driver, handyman, worker, tractor driver… and always in the North.

It looks like Ognev had a fate:

he drove limestone stones on a reindeer sled along the winter road from a lime quarry to the Yatriya River for firing to lime

he drove the murdered cook of the party from Man-Nyais to Ivdel on a reindeer team and buried her there

Very poetic, tragic, mythical… like if he was cursed… the reindeer sled, the tragic burden, the burial… What strange coincidences ! We are in Greek mythology. Sisyphus on a sledge… And at the heights of Russian litterature: the 250 km expiatory journey from Man-Nyais to Ivdel in a reindeer sled with a dead woman is at the level of Dmitri Karamazov's tragic fate. And so Ognev was involved in a murder...

I can tell what happened in Man-Nyais. There was a woman cook in a place populated with men, and the status of such a woman is very determined, she can be either the woman of all (a prostitute), either the woman of none (a sacred virgin) but she can't be the woman of one. There is a famous old French military song describing this kind of position, the story of a young waitress named Madelon and a regiment:

A corporal in a fancy kepi
Went to find Madelon one fine morning
And, madly in love, told her she was pretty
And that he came to ask for her hand
La Madelon, not stupid, in short,
She answered with a smile:
And why would I take just one man
When I love a whole regiment?

My friends will come. You won't have my hand
I need it way too much to pour them wine

The lyrics could have been even more explicit: And how could I be free to take just one man When a whole regiment loves me? My friends will come. They won't allow you to have my hand but it was already clear enough to anybody. Ognev fell in love with a cook and there was a reaction of all the men she was belonging to as a common good.. They murdered her the same day she accepted an exclusive relationship with a man. The French waitress was "not stupid" indeed, she refused the offering of an exclusive relationship, she avoided jealousy and fight inside the regiment, and to be caught in the crossfire. But Ognev was a "true Romantic" as wrote Lyuda in her diary. He wanted that very woman who was forbidden and they paid the price for the transgression. And that journey:

he drove the murdered cook of the party from Man-Nyais to Ivdel on a reindeer team and buried her there

is really at the heights of Romanticism. So Ognev could have inform the loggers about the tourists' route, but I don't see him participating in the ambush: he had his own tragic fate to accomplish. He had to bring to reality the scene with the stone in a reindeer sled at the Yatriya River which was a figure of the dead woman in the the sled.

« Last post by Charles on Today at 01:39:00 AM »
With a small axe, anyone of average skill can make an excellent "blunt object", big stick, club,... (good grip - 1 meter long - 2 kg) in 10 minutes (or say 30 minutes if he is clumsy) with which you can fracture all the human skulls that you want.

The poll/butt of this axe is already a "blunt object", no need to do any extra work:

Why go to complicated solutions when easy ones are available ? (And they didn't use the bit/blade of the axe because it was not an anti-semitic murder. Killing with the bit/blade of the axe is marking the murder as specifically anti-semiticaly motivated).

I think that neither the Soviet police nor the KGB were joking about firearms permits.

They couldn't know the exact number of firearms in circulation in the Urals, the Mansi also owned some not registered guns, some of them dating from the XIXth century.

If there were Mansi somewhere, then guns were not far away:

A sample of guns, gun, gun, gun, gun and gun, gun, gun, gun, gun, gun, gun, gun, gun, gun, guns, gun, guns, and last but not least gun and Stalin.

They had gun culture in the Urals and it was indeed the Far East...

« Last post by Charles on June 24, 2022, 09:42:31 AM »
Mansification of the loggers (2)

We see on this photo that the Kurikov invited Russians to join them for the hunt:

And I think that the second hunter from the left might have been Ivan Alekseevich Vlasov:

VLASOV Ivan Alekseevich was born in 1922 in Ivdel; 7th grade education, ch. CPSU, Russian. In 1959 - captain of military unit 6602; lived in the city of Ivdel, Mekhanoshina, 20. A participant in search operations as part of the group of capt. Chernyshev on February 26-27 in the area of ​​Gumpkopay; until 10.03 - in the area of ​​height 1079. In 1941 he was drafted into the army. He served in the 1st training rifle battalion of the 42nd reserve rifle regiment of the 15th reserve rifle division of the Southwestern Front.Since 1942 - in the 149th special brigade of the 8th Guards Rifle Corps, senior lieutenant. Demobilized in October 1945. In 1953 - senior lieutenant, head of the combat training department of the headquarters of the VSO (military rifle guard) of Ivdellag. On 06/17/1953, when Ivdellag was transferred to the department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, a recommendation was made "in order to improve camp work and restore order in the guards - to remove the head of the combat training department, senior lieutenant of the internal service Vlasov. Ivdellag does not have a reserve for replacement." He retired in 1970 with the rank of major. Sportsman; was fond of skiing, shooting, football.

Is it possible that some of the loggers of District 41 who were fluent in Mansi already received this kind of invitation ? Not for prestige hunt with the godfather Kurikov himself, but for semi or non official adventures with the son of Kurikov ? Whatever, it shows that the Mansi were opened to outsiders. Chagin said in his testimony:

From an early age until 1953 he was engaged in hunting. Mansi I know well because I had to meet them while hunting and they often call in to me as a hunter. I am also well familiar with their lives, habits and customs, rituals. (Egor Ivanovich Chagin)

We can imagine a much stronger bind between young Mansi and Russians of the same generation. And with these photos:

we can understand that mansification was not such an extraordinary process, Mansi were slowly becoming Russians, nothing would restrain Russians to slowly become Mansi. On that photo:

we can see Cheglakov (at the right), the Chief of the Firefighters of Vizhay Forestry, a Russian wearing Mansi clothes, with A.A. Anyamov at the center smoking a Belomorkanal.

Zina herself began to use the word Mansi "ayserm" (cold) in her diary:

We go on Auspiya, ayserm. Mansi trail ended. Pine forest. There was sun in the morning, now is ayserm. All day long we walked along Auspiya. (Jan. 30)

just after a few days...

And finally, if there was a Mansi involvement in the killing, that is to say if some young Mansi friends of the loggers participated in the ambush, we could relate to the ambush that incident when Nikolai Stepanovich Kurikov killed Prokopiy Vasilyevich Anyamov in what was called a "hunting accident" :

KURIKOV Nikolai Stepanovich (born 1937) - son from the first wife of S.N. Kurikov. He lived in the village of Suevat-Paul. In the early 60s, he accidentally killed Prokopiy Vasilyevich Anyamov, brother of Nikolay Vasilyevich Anyamov, while hunting. Sentenced to one year probation.

Nikolai Stepanovich Kurikov was 22 years old in 1959, same generation as the young loggers of District 41, he once worked for a Russian geological exploration party. Was it bad luck and a common hunting accident? Was Prokopiy Vasilyevich Anyamov about to speak to the police? Whatever, there was a man who killed another man with a gun, and given the context of the 9 deaths at the Pass, establishing a link is not irrational. If so, Prokopiy Vasilyevich Anyamov would be the tenth victim of the Dyatlov's Pass Incident. We can see on this photo Nikolai Stepanovich Kurikov posing  with Nikolay Vasilyevich Anyamov of whom he killed the brother. And the godfather of the family, Stepan Kurikov, the one involved in politics, handed himself his son to the police immediately after the accident, in a successful attempt of damage control.

Wolverine / Re: Wolverine
« Last post by Ziljoe on June 24, 2022, 05:19:58 AM »
If some of the clothes were swapped how do we know slobidins jacket was hanging at the door of the tent , someone else could have been wearing it?.

It was Slobodin's valenka + Slobodin's jacket at the same place, so in that case, Slobodin was there, pulling is second valenka on and ready to put his jacket on.

Plus , if the hikers outside the tent would see a Wolverine , why didn't they see any attackers first to warn the others.

Because the attackers had no need to declare themselves as attackers from a long distance. They could just wave the hand as a friendly salute, get close to the tent and then only show their real intentions.

Once the eyes and lungs are irritated, to return to the area of spray would just enhance the pain.

I guess it is very rare that wolverine or skunk spray could kill humans... isn't it ? Were the hikers so soft and gentle they preferred to die rather to endure the temporary discomfort of wolverine spray ? I think the hikers were much softer than the loggers, but not softer to that point. No if they had been sprayed by a wolverine, they would make stupid jokes like: "That's it, Sacha just pulled his shoes out!" or "What bastard just farted?"... they were good at making stupid jokes according to Zina.

I am a bit lost with describing the Wolverine as a narcissistic animal

"Lively, dramatic, vivacious, enthusiastic, extroverted and flirtatious" is the perfect description of the wolverine's character, don't you agree ?

Some one will need to tell me how to separate the quotes.  grin1

Thibault was found wearing Slobidins jacket?  So when did the suprise come to cut open the tent from these others ?

The spray did not kill them. It was the accidents that followed. Weather , snow bridge etc. They would not know what the spray was or how serious it was. It would have been concentrated in the tent and more potent . If it was daylight it is on that reason they may have decided to look for water to wash. Left their torch on the slope for direction to return to the tent.  I think the spray is more than a fart smell.

"Lively, dramatic, vivacious, enthusiastic, extroverted and flirtatious" is the perfect description of the wolverine's character, don't you agree ? No, I don't agree with histrionic personality disorder in an animal.

« Last post by Charles on June 24, 2022, 04:55:35 AM »
If some of the clothes were swapped how do we know slobidins jacket was hanging at the door of the tent , someone else could have been wearing it?.

It was Slobodin's valenka + Slobodin's jacket at the same place, so in that case, Slobodin was there, pulling is second valenka on and ready to put his jacket on.

Plus , if the hikers outside the tent would see a Wolverine , why didn't they see any attackers first to warn the others.

Because the attackers had no need to declare themselves as attackers from a long distance. They could just wave the hand as a friendly salute, get close to the tent and then only show their real intentions.

Once the eyes and lungs are irritated, to return to the area of spray would just enhance the pain.

I guess it is very rare that wolverine or skunk spray could kill humans... isn't it ? Were the hikers so soft and gentle they preferred to die rather to endure the temporary discomfort of wolverine spray ? I think the hikers were much softer than the loggers, but not softer to that point. No if they had been sprayed by a wolverine, they would make stupid jokes like: "That's it, Sacha just pulled his shoes out!" or "What bastard just farted?"... they were good at making stupid jokes according to Zina.

I am a bit lost with describing the Wolverine as a narcissistic animal

"Lively, dramatic, vivacious, enthusiastic, extroverted and flirtatious" is the perfect description of the wolverine's character, don't you agree ?
« Last post by Ziljoe on June 24, 2022, 02:16:30 AM »
Why are we projecting human disorders on a animal in its own habitat?

Because animals are damn anarchists and using them as characters in our stories to express human flaws works well and is as old as humanity. See Aesop's fables, Phaedra's fables, Homer's Batrachomyomachia...

Animals may follow no government but they do follow certain rules amongst themselves. I am a bit lost with describing the Wolverine as a narcissistic animal . It follows it's nose for food and that's as exciting as it gets. There is no more story to the Wolverine theory other than wondering into the tent, getting stuck , spray and move on.

It leaves 9 tourists outside their tent with watery eyes and uncomfortable smells wondering what just happened.
« Last post by Игорь Б. on June 24, 2022, 02:09:08 AM »
Случай, когда росомаха залезла в армейскую палатку, полную бодрствующих солдат:
http://1723.ru/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=5133&view=findpost&p=71513

Случай, когда росомаха зашла в дом в присутствии человека:

Случаи, когда росомаха не боится человека:

https://youtu.be/FAci6zlNtdA?t=113
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10